Fuchs Titan 0w20 for a Civic 1.6 turbodiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a Honda Civic 1.6 Turbodiesel, 120 hp, bought in 2014 with 7000 km.
In the owner's manual the recommended oil grade is 0w30, c2 or c3.
My question is: would it be harmful for the engine's wear or for other possible problems using the Fuchs Titan 0w20? is it too thin for my engine? I have read in this site many positive comments about this oil but I don't know whether it is fine with a turbodiesel engine. In the back label there is the c2 specification and that you can use it also in diesel engine...but i have still some doubts...
what would you suggest?
I live in the north of Italy, with cold winters (up to -5°c) and hot summers (up to +35/37°C)

It probably wouldn't hurt. It definitely wouldn't cause a disaster. -5 isn't extreme tho, 0w30 would provide all the flow you should need on cold days.

If you want to use it you can it shouldn't have any negative effect motors typically for the most part will run on any grade of oil but I don't really see a benefit of using 0w20 beyond maybe a 1% difference in mileage.

Northern Italy is where both sides of my family come from. Use the recommend oils for the starting temps.

if you go in Fuchs oil chooser page, they recommend for my engine both the 0w20 and the 5w30. I have these doubts because a friend of mine gave me 5 liters of this oil (0w20) and as i have to change the oil...I was wondering whether it is a risk...for the summer...

shouldn't be a prolem in summer if you stick to the speed limits, and don't try to win the stop light grand prix.
but why not blend it with the recommended oil, or use it for topping up (if needed). If you use 1 litre of the 0w20 and the rest you make up with 0w30 you can rest assured, and you'll still use up the free oil.

Yeah..i think i will mix some oil 5w30 grade of the same company with the 0w20..just to be sure... are there evident advantages in terms of torque and hp with a thinner oil?

If Fuchs recommends their Titan GT1 0W-20 for your engine I would use it straight without reservation. It's a long drain race oil at the heavier end of the 20 grade range in terms of it's HTHSV.
This oil has a unique Zn free formulation unlike any other oil Fuchs makes so I wouldn't be mixing it with anything else.

I wouldn't use this oil in your Civic. I have no first hand experience with this engine, but I do with other modern diesels, mostly Fiats. Best you can do is to find dual rated C2/C3 oil in specified grade. This way your engine will gain full protection while retaining economy benefits.

Originally Posted By: mrendiadi
I have some doubts because i found an interesting thread here about 0w20 oils and diesel engines..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=918172

Some users don't recommend a 0w20 oil for a diesel engine because it might wear too fast...

That thread is 8 years old.
Also you're generalizing about 0W-20 oils of which the Fuchs Titan GT1 is very atypical. The originally version of this Fuchs 0W-20 was used successfully years ago in the Porsche Cup GT3 racing series.

But the most relevant point you've mentioned is that Fuchs recommends this oil for your engine. That would good enough for me and I wouldn't be second guessing them.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
It probably wouldn't hurt. It definitely wouldn't cause a disaster. -5 isn't extreme tho, 0w30 would provide all the flow you should need on cold days.

If you want to use it you can it shouldn't have any negative effect motors typically for the most part will run on any grade of oil but I don't really see a benefit of using 0w20 beyond maybe a 1% difference in mileage.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
shouldn't be a prolem in summer if you stick to the speed limits, and don't try to win the stop light grand prix.
but why not blend it with the recommended oil, or use it for topping up (if needed). If you use 1 litre of the 0w20 and the rest you make up with 0w30 you can rest assured, and you'll still use up the free oil.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: mrendiadi
I have some doubts because i found an interesting thread here about 0w20 oils and diesel engines..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=918172

Some users don't recommend a 0w20 oil for a diesel engine because it might wear too fast...

That thread is 8 years old.
Also you're generalizing about 0W-20 oils of which the Fuchs Titan GT1 is very atypical. The originally version of this Fuchs 0W-20 was used successfully years ago in the Porsche Cup GT3 racing series.

But the most relevant point you've mentioned is that Fuchs recommends this oil for your engine. That would good enough for me and I wouldn't be second guessing them.

So you 3 amigos claim to know better than the manufacturer minimum specification.

Interesting how this recommendation just rolls off the edge of your fingers.

No thought appears to be given to the age of the vehicle ie it is a 2014 model and still under the manufacturers warranty.

OP trust your gut instincts here associated with risk and whom is prepared to underwrite the warranty should a part inadvertently failure and the oil is out of spec.

Definitely not worth the risk in this instance IMO based on the evidence provided here by the 3 amigos.

Last edited:
virginoil, you missed the bit where either the Porsche engineers designed the Honda engine to run 0W20....or are Porsche GT3s were powered by low revving high impulse loaded Honda diesels running 0W20?

I've googled both engines, and the outsides don't seem the bear much similarity, but you and I don't really know what's on the inside.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
virginoil, you missed the bit where either the Porsche engineers designed the Honda engine to run 0W20....or are Porsche GT3s were powered by low revving high impulse loaded Honda diesels running 0W20?

I've googled both engines, and the outsides don't seem the bear much similarity, but you and I don't really know what's on the inside.

Shannow,
It's well known and probably documented that naturally aspirated boxer 6 from GT3 and Honda 4 pot diesel share plenty of similarities, but I can't remember single one now because I'm on my fifth beer. Please, listen to our Arctic friend, he knows thin is good.

Last edited:
Wow i wish i could get a Honda Civic with a 1.6 diesel. Only diesels in cars in US are a VW's and Audis and the Chevrolet Cruze. May i ask what MPG you get with that car?

As to your question just run whatever the manufacture recommends so you don't hurt warranty if still applicable. That 0w20 might be a little thin for that high heat diesel. You probably might hurt the turbo bearings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LX289
Only diesels in cars in US are a VW's and Audis and the Chevrolet Cruze.

And BMW, and Mercedes.

Those two are panzer's, not cars.

For Lx289: with my Civic, I can do 4 liters for 100 km..
But mostly i drive like a granny...eh eh

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Shannow

Another small detail I Googled Mobil Valvoline Shell and Fuchs Datateck/ lube sites for recommendations and all listed a full synthetic 5w-30 C2 rated engine oil. My check also included Shell Lubematch in Italy for the vehicle in question same recommendation.

Except for Castrol recommending the full syn 0w-40 grade.
If any of these oil manufacturers would go thin it surely would be Mobil, this is definitely not the case here.

Our marvelous entrepreneurs will surely enlighten us mortal gods with revelations kept secret from when Honda and Porche first said let there be ?????

Last edited:
Id guess (may be wrong) that carrying at least some sort of ACEA approvals would mean something through the warranty period as well.

Could be wrong, and the Magnusson Moss act carries across from the country of recommendation.

But without taking into account all the warranty issues, i'd like to know whether the 0w20 grade might be harmuful for my engine...dont we focus on the warranty but on the engine..also considering my future oil changes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back