Choice of thermostat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta replace the thermostat on the Cobalt soon. (temps are off/heat not as hot)

Looking at AAP...with a choice of Stant, Tough one(house brand), or gates.

Which one should I choose, and why? Stant is my gut choice, but this is my first replacement of one, so I need more input here.....

i get thermostats for under $6.00 but i pay sometimes $20.00 at the dealer because they are much better and you can't take a change on a thermostat!
Go to the dealer and get an oe there you may feel ripped off but i have learned over the years that you sometimes cant cut corners. Too much to lose, period!

how its made had an episode of how they are made. hard to believe there can be a difference among brands they most likely come from same manufacturing plant using the same wax material in the plug. the rest is just stamped from metal and a spring. if its made in usa then you are good, if not might be ok might not. then again made in usa not a guarantee every time either.
inspect the crimps and seams around the center plug looking for even lines,
put it in hot pot of water and verify it works before installing.

Go factory recommendation. Clean out the heater core with a garden hose and have a bucket to catch run off. Once its clear just pour 50-50 into the heater core until it comes out a nice mix. That will probably help a good bit.

Yep, last Stant I bought was the exact same as Tough One when I was comparison shopping.

You getting low temperatures when it's supposed to be hot ? What's the readings on the information Center maxed out if it's stuck open, I'm curious how it runs without the thermostat closing since those engines usually run some pretty high temperatures before the high fan kicks on.

I would go OEM. Next choice is the Stant "Superstat".Stay away from the Chinese ones. I bet the toughone falls into that category.If the new one doesn't have a bleeder hole, I would drill a 1/16 inch hole in the stat so you do not get any trapped air behind the thermostat. Position the new one so that the hole is at the 12 oclock position.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Tough One is probably a re-boxed Stant.

Yup, the saturn s-series one is stamped Stant on the pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back