Uncle bought another bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a Japanese cruiser (I think a Shadow 900) for a while...he just bought another. It's almost identical to his first Japanese bike: a 1978 Yamaha XS750E triple. He got it for practically nothing, still wearing plates that expired in 1998. He plans to ride it on the Dragon this summer.
smile.gif
(Despite its 15-year hibernation, it has about 55,000 miles.)

A classic! Ride on.

But yes change all the fluids. New tires for sure. Fork oil will need to be addressed as well.

Fork seals are bad, they will be replaced. (That's why it was parked.) He might also do the steering head bearing. Will also get a brake job, new tires & tubes, probably brakes and lines. He already pulled the gas tank...looks like the previous owner ran it dry (or drained it) prior to parking it. He reports crud buildup in the fuel system is minimal.

On the positive side, it looks like he'll be able to get it running without buying a battery...the one from his Shadow (on a maintainer for winter) will fit.

His first XS750 triple was the bike that cured him of owning British bikes. Something about starting every time, I think...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
His first XS750 triple was the bike that cured him of owning British bikes. Something about starting every time, I think...
smile.gif

Well since the Brit bikes were all kickstarts up into the 80's for the most part....I am sure that had something to do with it. And not having to "tickle" amal carbs.

The 1969 Honda CB750 is what got my old man to kick his Triumphs and BSA bikes to the curb.

I had a 79 XS triple...one of best bikes I've ever owned. They use shims for valve adjustment...he should check those also with
that kind of milage on it. Some folks never bothered to check them
at all, and that may be one of them. Mine did need several diff sized shims at bout 12K or so.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
smile.gif

Well since the Brit bikes were all kickstarts up into the 80's for the most part....I am sure that had something to do with it. And not having to "tickle" amal carbs.

The 1969 Honda CB750 is what got my old man to kick his Triumphs and BSA bikes to the curb.

He didn't mind kick-starting...more things like leaks, electrical gremlins, and random breakdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back