Fram Ultra XG7317 Pixs - 12K Miles & 18 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
More photos of the element after drying out the oil soaked media using the "wick trick". Close inspection between the pleats with a strong flashlight did reveal some debris caught on the outside surface - ie, some small chunks of carbon and what looks to be most likely cam chain guide/slider material (very slight amount). Probably normal wear from all the cam chains in this engine.

I shined a strong flashlight inside the center tube and didn't see any media pin holes or any sign of media damage.

Also measured the media area, but since the Ultra has dual layer full synthetic media, it doesn't mean much due to the depth filtering ability of synthetic media.

No. of pleats = 30 (not including the metal crimped seam which doesn't filter)
Pleat depth = 0.5"
Pleat length = 2.375"

Area = 2 x 30 x 0.5" x 2.375" =71.25 sq-in.

Ultra8.jpg

Ultra11.jpg

Ultra9.jpg

Ultra10.jpg

Absolutely perfect filter. In every way. I love the sealing gasket on the bypass valve... so often we see metal on metal for that. This filter really has all of my concerned covered with respect to filter design.

I am very pleased with the Ultra and it is what convinced me to use a Fram filter for the first time in decades. My modular has no issues with it (e.g. no start up rattle), I like the 'security' provided by the wire back media for extended OCIs, and the increase in filter efficiency over the FL-820s is another bonus (99.9% vs. 93.7%). I am going to try one on the Explorer on the next OC and see how it does on it too.

PS...Thanks for the C&P and the "wick" photos too!

Boy it did its job

however Im starting to think to get a expensive oil filter and expensive syn oil and running it 12K miles is not good.

I could be wrong
but think

the best oil is clean oil... Syn Oil gets dirty... just dirty with more additives and a better base stock.

However to change your oil each 4K miles and good Chevron Oil or any good oil and even a FRAM Extra Gaurd

I think you might get better results with 3 oil changes with regular oil that will end up being cleaner and new filters, then running with a filter full of dirt but doing its job

I just think a new filter will clean be better then a filter with say 8K miles on it.

Its new.. thinnk about it????

However I could be very wrong.

I hear ppl say all the time the best oil is clean oil..

Last edited:
12K for an Ultra in a clean engine is done easily. I probably could have went for another 6K OCI (for 18K total on the Ultra), but wanted to be on the "safe side".

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Looks impressive for having filtered oil for so many miles. Wish the filter were a little cheaper.

You should look on Amazon, I found the one that would fit my car for $6.50 if you do the subscribe deal where you sign up for them to send you one automatically from one month to 6 month. Also you could sign up but then cancel it at anytime.

AAP has it for $10.29 and if you use the 40% discount code, it comes out to around $6.15

Yesterday I added two of these to my order from pep boys of an alternator, to get free shipping. Came to about $5.40 each with the 20% off they had. Not the same part number as yours, was for a 2002 Toyota Camry v6.

The price is not great by any means in my opinion but i am used to buying filters wholesale for my shop so maybe im expecting to much. It sure does look like a quality filter from the pictures but why does it look like the media has "hairs" in it?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
The price is not great by any means in my opinion but i am used to buying filters wholesale for my shop so maybe im expecting to much. It sure does look like a quality filter from the pictures but why does it look like the media has "hairs" in it?

Because it's a full synthetic media ... and I wicked all the oil out of the media with paper towels attached around it with rubber bands for a couple of days.

Fourth picture down looks like the leaf spring is hovering over the filter... had to adjust my eyes... but I think it's sitting on top of the end cap right? Or do you have special powers?
grin.gif

Great pics!

Man, going to make me feel like I'm going to pull my filter off too early in 12 months when I do another OCI.

That would put it at 8k and 24 months.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
Man, going to make me feel like I'm going to pull my filter off too early in 12 months when I do another OCI.

That would put it at 8k and 24 months.

Time plays a factor. I wouldn't feel bad if I got 8-10k and 2 years out of a filter.

I will change the Fram Ultras recently bought at my usual 5k interval. I don't want to extend the use, leave old oil in, see blackened encrusted filter media, and don't mind the extra $5. It isn't that much money over the time, in fact compared to everything else, it's nothing.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Fourth picture down looks like the leaf spring is hovering over the filter... had to adjust my eyes... but I think it's sitting on top of the end cap right? Or do you have special powers?
grin.gif

Great pics!

LOL ... I see what you mean. Might be the anti-gravity field caused by the special center tube material.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back