My 3 year old Hankooks are cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some Hankook Optimo 727s that are cracking near the bead/seating part of the tire on the rim. I keep them properly inflated (typically a little over at 32 psi).

Tires have about 40k on them. Car is kept outside. Miles are about 70% highway.

The previous set of tires (Goodyear LS) did the same thing... I am looking for input to understand this. Maybe this is just normal after a few years?

They are Korean afterall,however I have had Japanese Yokohamas do that too.I think they know customers are aware of age cracks and are doing to sell new tires.

Do you apply things like tire dressing on them? Also what is the date code on the tires itself? Just because you've had them for 3 years doesn't mean they're 3 years old, they could have been sitting on a shelf for a while. Usually the last 4 digits after the DOT code, has the week and year of manufacture.

Some tires are just prone to cracking, which is why I'll never have another Michelin tire, they have more crack(s) than Whitney Houston!

Check the sidewall for for date code.

Too many shops install news tires that have been sitting on the shelf for years.

No comment on Hankooks. I had a set last 60k miles(18 months). They had no traction when new and less when used. They didn't balance well and flat spotted cold.

I bought a "new" set of tires that ended up being 4 years old when installed on my car.

Happens everywhere. I now buy from TireRack and get fresh tires, then have someone who isn't a ripoff artist install them.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Some tires are just prone to cracking, which is why I'll never have another Michelin tire, they have more crack(s) than Whitney Houston!

She's passed a while ago, let her rest in peace !

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I bought a "new" set of tires that ended up being 4 years old when installed on my car.

Happens everywhere. I now buy from TireRack and get fresh tires, then have someone who isn't a ripoff artist install them.

+1 for Tire Rack. My local Goodyear shop is one of their installers.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Yup, it's the sun.... The tires I have for sal are 8 years old are in perfect condition with zero cracks,

About the same here on the Tbird , Born date 08 , garage queen car.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I bought these from tirerack. Two tires six months before the other two. All four came from them.

Again, what are the specific date codes on the tires?

And, have any photos?

Minor cosmetic sidewall cracking will happen after several years in some conditions. It may not be anything serious, but we'd have to see pics.

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
I have some Hankook Optimo 727s that are cracking near the bead/seating part of the tire on the rim. I keep them properly inflated (typically a little over at 32 psi).

Tires have about 40k on them. Car is kept outside. Miles are about 70% highway.

The previous set of tires (Goodyear LS) did the same thing... I am looking for input to understand this. Maybe this is just normal after a few years?

2 thoughts:

1) It is possible what you are seeing is the wax cracking and not the rubber itself. The wax is put in the rubber matrix to form a barrier to outside elements to slow down the degrading of the rubber. The wax flakes off and is replaced by additional wax in the matrix itself which migrates to the surface, forming a new barrier.

To determine if that is the case, look carefully at the cracks. Are they strictly surface crazing and do not penetrate into the rubber to any extent? Likely the wax cracking. Take a photo and post it. I'm sure everyone will have an opinion.

2) Rubber cracks. How long it takes depends on a lot of things. You should expect cracking in a tire, and the question should be how bad is it. Superficial cracking is OK. When it gets some depth, then that is a problem. Posting a picture will help here.

(OK, 3 thoughts!)

Since this is the second set that cracked, is there an ozone problem where you are? Do you change the tires over in winter and store them near a furnace or some electrical device?

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
Originally Posted By: Doog

I bought these from tirerack. Two tires six months before the other two. All four came from them.

Take a pic of the DOT code on the sidewall. Post here.

What about the tire dressing question? Did you use any? They supposedly help prevent the cracking.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
What about the tire dressing question? Did you use any? They supposedly help prevent the cracking.

Most dressings strip away the waxes and antioxidants to make the tire shiny. This results in a worse situation. Even those that have antioxidants as part of their ingredients, may not improve the situation enough to over come the loss of the wax protection.

Nope, if you have to characterize tire dressings, you have to go with "Hurts, not helps!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back