Replaced air filter at 30,000 miles 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this look normal, or should I have replaced it earlier? This is from my 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 CTD. I do all city/highway driving, so I was surpised to see it so dirty. Replaced with Wix from Orieleys.

Just the tip of the pleads are really dirty. Every city car could have that in a polluted environment. Not too worry. You should have taken a pic of the back side, also.

They filter better when they're dirty, the only thing to gain by changing it is either if the filter is degrading and about to get sucked into your intake and kill your engine, or if you're not happy with your power/having problems related to restricted airflow.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does the truck have a restriction gage? My ford does and I rarely get 10k out of an air filter.

This truck does not have a restriction gauge

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does the truck have a restriction gage? My ford does and I rarely get 10k out of an air filter.
Probably where you live,

The filter is not close to needing replacement. But you got your moneys worth out of it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The filter is not close to needing replacement. But you got your moneys worth out of it.

This. I personally prefer to change my filters out a little early. Filters are cheap, so I might as well drop a new one in and not have to worry about it. 2 yrs/30k miles, you got your moneys worth out of the filter, so drop in a new one and replace it in 2 years.

I ran an air filter on my small 2.2 ecotec for 73,000 miles. It started to pull oil out of the engine through the PCV breather hose into the intake. I will change the next filter at 50,000.

This engine is much bigger and uses far more air and the filter doesn't look much bigger than the one in my car. I would guess 20,000 miles is tops in this situation.

I had 45000 on the original filter on my Focus when I changed it out. Looked new on both sides.

I am one of the lucky ones that got a real filter on my Focus. The downside is ... very expensive

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i change filters every 30000 miles and they look new. i have fuel efficient cars, i think this is the major difference.

Diesels flow LOTS more air than gas engines...remember: they have no throttle plate! (And, of course, they're turbocharged.)

Originally Posted By: CT8
that is not a logical statement after your first sentence contradicts it...

like noted by an earlier response, your filter was only dirty at the tips of the pleats. no need to change sooner. could have run it longer.

If it was mine I would change it out just for the fact it is getting contaminated. Then again maybe you want a K&N oiled gauze filter.......
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back