What if jack stands fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working underneath a car is no joke. You're literally looking at death in the face. My question is, would putting tires underneath the car work as a last ditch fail safe? Would you need the wheel with the tire, or would a tire on its own work?

I have never had an accident, but it is quite scary to work underneath a car, even with jack stands holding the car up. Thanks.

If you get decent jackstands, and stay within their load limits, I don't think it's worth worrying over. I keep my jack underneath for the fail-safe.

Use a high quality jack stand don't buy the cheapest you find. A lot of people do this and it makes no sense. Why put cheap over safety. Tires might work but they are large and would probably get in the way.

Always have a back up tho. In times where jack stands, ramps, emergency fail a back up increases you odds of living significantly. Every ones heard of thoses stores where someone's jack stand gave out and the vehicle crushed them. Its simply true I had a buddy when I was back in my 20's who's jack stand gave out or slipped (been many years can't remember which one) and the van crushed him.

Always have safety first and make sure everything's secure. Before you get under a vehicle give it a good shake (not enought to throw it off the stands) but enough to see if its only holding by a finger tip.

I echo the comments about not buying the cheapest you can find, and not exceeding the weight limit.
Personally I like to leave the jack in place as insurance against the stands failing, and if a wheel is off I'll throw that under the car too.

I'd rather work in a cramped or constricted environment than get crushed at work

I had a couple of backups in place when I swapped the transmission on my '04.
redundancy.jpg

Personally I stay away from ramps. I use stands, put the tire underneath the car and keep the hydraulic jack used to raise the vehicle in place as well.

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
Working underneath a car is no joke. You're literally looking at death in the face. My question is, would putting tires underneath the car work as a last ditch fail safe? Would you need the wheel with the tire, or would a tire on its own work?

I have never had an accident, but it is quite scary to work underneath a car, even with jack stands holding the car up. Thanks.

yes

For oil changes, ramps are the way to go. If not, get 3 ton jackstands - Harbor Freight always has a deal on them.

I usually use 6-ton jackstands if they'll fit.

I also leave the jack in place, and sometimes place one or two 3-ton jackstands to "catch" the car if something bad happens.

I chuck the wheel/tire under the car if I'm doing something involved on stands... like a FWD transmission. Big benefit for me is shop floor space, the tires "disappear". They wind up under the drivers seat which is probably the center of gravity, but the way the car slants back means they're only an inch or two below the stamped unibody "frame rail". And they're so stout that if the car shifts a couple reasons for whatever reason (earthquake?) they'll still catch them.

If they do nothing else, they'll keep the rocker panels 7 inches off the ground so a rescuer can get in with your jack. You guys close the jack's valve so all someone has to do is pump, right?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I put the tires under the frame as well.

X2 Good insurance
wink.gif

I think having a jack under as a fail safe is folly.

Wheels with tired would probably be ok.

The stand is only as good as its quality and the material underneath it.

Personally, I found some small pieces of 8x8, 6x6 and 4x4, and I stack them up underneath as extra support depending upon the job.

The best solution is prevention. Do you need to be up on stands? If yes, do you have to be up on four,

I use jack stands but also place the jack under the frame right near the jack stand closest to the side I am working on. I then make sure the valve is fully closed. That was even if the jack stand fails the jack is backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back