New Bike, '14 Boulevard M109R, LE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want opinions on break in. Follow the manual, ride it like I stole it, or somewhere in between? It calls for the first oil change at 600 miles, then every 3500 after that. I had planned on switching to synthetic at the 4k mark....but then I can say for most of my bikes, I ran the factory fill til 1k, then switched to synthetic, and none of them ever had any problems. My Goldwing, I followed the manual and changed the factory fill at 4k, then it's been 10k intervals with synthetic ever since.

I would just follow the manual. Those engines are so precision made they don't need a break in. I think Yamaha has eliminated break-in, I know they have on all watercraft.

I broke my 106 in hard on the highway with high load but not high rpm. Never more than 4000 unless downshifting.
Ring seat happens in the first 20 miles,that's when high load is important. Lots of fuel in the combustion chamber exploding seating the rings against the bores.

Be moderately aggressive with the throttle but don't get into the high revs too much. After the first oil change ride it like you stole it. I would change the oil at the recommended 600 miles to remove any swarf that may be in there. Very nice bike by the way, congrats.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I broke my 106 in hard on the highway with high load but not high rpm. Never more than 4000 unless downshifting.
Ring seat happens in the first 20 miles,that's when high load is important. Lots of fuel in the combustion chamber exploding seating the rings against the bores.

I agree with this method, and a lot of stop and go traffic is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back