2016 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thunderfog

Man, I don't know about those cartridge filters. Anyone have any experience trying to change those?

If you're the ONLY person who does oil changes on the vehicle, they actually aren't too bad. Toyota puts a little drain plug on the cap so you can drain out most of the oil held in the filter before removing the cap.

The problem is, people over tighten the Toyota caps all the time, probably by using claw pliers to tighten, or just tightening the cap as much as they can. Once they go through a few heat cycles like that, have fun getting the cap off. I have seen $100 Toyota-specific adapters break in half trying to remove an over tightened cap.

I wish they used a cartridge design that was more like the GM Ecotec and Chrysler Pentastar. They are up top and have hex heads on the cap. I have seen a couple mangled up Ecotec caps, but not nearly as many as with Toyotas.

I like the cartridge filters. The o-ring imparts a lot of drag, but at the same time I don't see how it's going to back out on its own. I just handtighten until I feel it bottom on, then that's it.

I actually kinda like them. Ok, mopping out the canister is a bit annoying but it is less trash going to the dump, which is something I like.

FWIW I don't use the drain feature on my Toyota's. I just spin the whole thing off. Been years (decades?) since I've done a canister filter, but IIRC oil ran down the sides of that, making a mess. No difference canister vs cartridge if you ignore the drain feature, oil runs down the side on both. One less o-ring to change (I think) if I ignore the drain feature too.

Technically filters ought to be cheaper, nothing more than paper glued together.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I am so sorry but whenever I see a Tundra, Tacoma, Avalon I always think "that's not a Toyota". They made their reputation selling small economical and reliable cars and trucks that were simple.

Haven't seen one in years...

They all used to make simple economical vehicles. With all the gov't mandated nanny devices/requirements, and the fact that us fat Americans would not buy them, you'd have to go to another country to find these types of vehicles. I miss them too.

Last edited:
I do like the looks of the truck over the current model. I'm a little suspicious since the cab looks the same as the current. I'm curious if the frame is different. Hopefully they dumped the Dana manufactured rust prone frames.
I won't be getting rid of my 2010 any time soon.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

As for the 3.5L V6...I hope it offers a nice, sizable fuel economy gain over the 4.0L. With 12 injectors it better do something for it. The 4.0L was a reliable engine and perfect for the Tacoma. And the oil filter location was the best. I bet the 3.5L has a bottom mount cartridge...engine pics confirm it is not a top mounted spin on anymore.

Man, I don't know about those cartridge filters. Anyone have any experience trying to change those?

Uh, yeah. They're fine if they are right up top, front and center, and you can do the change, piece of cake. But on my MINI it was down low on the engine, somewhat underneath, and the only way to get at it was to bend a piece of a heat shield out of the way.... With all of the hassle to get at it, the last time I did this the big O-ring managed to get set in the wrong place. I fired it up and promptly dumped about half of my new Castrol EDGE all over my driveway. Fun stuff. If they are not easy to get at, they are a pain in the you know what...

I do like the fact that this Toyota engine has DI, but also a port injection mode to clean off the backside of the valves.

Overpriced and carppy mileage - otherwise I'd own one
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I am so sorry but whenever I see a Tundra, Tacoma, Avalon I always think "that's not a Toyota". They made their reputation selling small economical and reliable cars and trucks that were simple.

Haven't seen one in years...

They all used to make simple economical vehicles. With all the gov't mandated nanny devices/requirements, and the fact that us fat Americans would not buy them, you'd have to go to another country to find these types of vehicles. I miss them too.

BTW-They are going to sell a TON of the new Tacomas. Toyota has so much in cash reserves they can play the rebate game with GM forever.

Yes-you can go to other countries and find vehicles without airbags and anti lock brakes.

We disagree here-if it wasn't for the government we would be running around in 5,000 pound death boxes....IMHO!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
and only fools buy the first years models.

I disagree.

First) you will have the newest platform for the longest time. (if that matters to you)

Second) I bought a 2000 Tundra (first year). 223,000 miles later and it's fine. No different than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year model.
Then again, there are some manufacturers that I wouldn't want a first year model from, but consequently, I wouldn't likely want ANY year model from them.

First model years? I have mixed emotions. Think about it...cars have been around since the 1900s. Can't they get them right in over 100 years?

Our old 2000 Dodge Neon, which was one of the best handling cars I have ever had, was a first year. It had the horn mounted such that it gathered water and died in the first year. Lol. Also it had only a three speed auto that first year or two.

Somehow that sucker had a stuck to the road feel yet felt much much less "clunky" over bumps and even manhole covers than my 2013 Corolla. I have no idea why other than that I thing the springing of the rear suspension was different.

I really which this Corolla didn't "bam and clunk" over railroad crossings and half inch rise manhole covers.

Originally Posted By: CKN
First model years? I have mixed emotions. Think about it...cars have been around since the 1900s. Can't they get them right in over 100 years?

The problem is that when an auto maker does a major redesign, they often still have bugs to work out. In 2002, Toyota put the 2AZ-FE engine in the Camry and Solara, and many of them developed premature oil leaks and belt tensioner failure, and that was fixed a few years later.

With some cars it is different. They introduce an awful model, and it continues to be awful until that car is discontinued. Toyota once screwed up there, too. The Tercel had multiple variants, but they all sucked.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

If you're the ONLY person who does oil changes on the vehicle, they actually aren't too bad. Toyota puts a little drain plug on the cap so you can drain out most of the oil held in the filter before removing the cap.

The problem is, people over tighten the Toyota caps all the time, probably by using claw pliers to tighten, or just tightening the cap as much as they can. Once they go through a few heat cycles like that, have fun getting the cap off. I have seen $100 Toyota-specific adapters break in half trying to remove an over tightened cap.

I wish they used a cartridge design that was more like the GM Ecotec and Chrysler Pentastar. They are up top and have hex heads on the cap. I have seen a couple mangled up Ecotec caps, but not nearly as many as with Toyotas.

Cartridge filters have been used for a long time. I have them on my early 1980s mercedes cars and they are wonderful.

That said, cartridge under the car is about as stupid design as one could create. Creates the need for new tools and ways to drain it. Shame on toyota. Shame also on vw, we have the same type of setup.

Why would special tools be required under the car? Still need whatever sized wrench/socket to remove. Once in a while I can spin my Jetta canister by hand, but usually just put the tool on it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Cartridge filters have been used for a long time. I have them on my early 1980s mercedes cars and they are wonderful.

That said, cartridge under the car is about as stupid design as one could create. Creates the need for new tools and ways to drain it. Shame on toyota. Shame also on vw, we have the same type of setup.

Cartridge filters on old German cars are designed properly. Not only is it up top, but the cap itself does not screw into the housing. A nut on a stud holds the cap down. I have never come across an old Mercedes or BMW metal cap of that design that was seized on.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'd be hesitant with toyota frame quality, but their gasoline drivetrain offerings sound good to me.

Not sure who get blamed on that. Dana produced the dud frames which also makes them for Ford's and other makers. I imagine mistake won't be repeated.

My parents got a faultless replacement on their 2001 Tundra 4wd. I believe they stated it was close to a $10k repair for Toyota. Took forever as they only had one full time guy who did them at dealership and my mum's truck failed state inspection. Toyota handed her keys to brand new 07 Tacoma for 4.5 months as loaner.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
wink.gif

Yep, really no need for a pickup truck just to go grocery shopping.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: surfstar
wink.gif

Yep, really no need for a pickup truck just to go grocery shopping.

Thankfully we don't have to prove "need" to buy vehicles yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back