Jeep 4.0 engine dies while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
While driving my Jeeps engine dies and I roll to a stop. The first time I got it restarted after 10 or so tries. The 2nd time I could get it to catch slightly but would die quickly. No CEL, there is gas (not a lot, but not on empty). I have not checked for a pending code. I was thinking maybe crank pos sensor but I did have that replaced with a Chrysler one. not too long ago (less than 1 year).

Both times when it died it was just an instant loss of power and I rolled to the shoulder.

I use E10 gas so I doubt a frozen gas line.

Its going to snow tonight and I need 4WD, not my pickup that cannot get out of its own way in the snow.

Do you hear the fuel pump buzz when you cycle the key after it dies?

It might be the cam position sensor, which is located forward of the oil filter.

I replaced the cam sensor (whith Chrysler) less than a year ago also. The engine will not stay running no matter what is done with gas pedal.

I'd try and see if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail as the fuel pump may have died. If that's ok, check for spark-good luck

It does sound like a fuel supply problem.

My work Cherokee doesn't pick up fuel very well when the gauge is near empty.

Keep the tank full and see if the problem is solved.

Well, I had a similar problem with my 02 WJ. Twice. First was the throttle position sensor. Then, it was the crank sensor. I changed it from inside the jeep, you can find info on that on the web, the alternative way is to drop the trans yada yada, difficult.
When at it I changed the cam sensor but it wasn't that.
Could obviously be something else but you should rellay get a code/codes thrown to help figure out.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
sounds like a fuel pump going out to me. Id be checking fuel pressure first.

I agree. Usually when a cam or crank position sensor begins to go out, it will be intermittent. The vehicle will usually stall at a stop light, and start right back up. This will keep happening until the sensor fails completely and the vehicle won't start at all.

The fact that yours took so many cranks but eventually started sounds like something different. I would test fuel pressure.

Edit: The fuel gauges in these things aren't exactly the most accurate either, so low fuel could be a possibility. I'd add some fuel just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Last edited:
This could be the ECM connector issue. See if wiggling the connector at the engine computer allows an instant restart after stalling, or wiggling the connectors with engine running induces a stalling.

If so, it is more likely the solder connections on the ECM/PCM circuit board have fractured, than an issue with the pin/socket interface within the connectors.

But these can also be bad/intermittent.

Caig Deoxit d5 spray is a miracle product where electrical connectors are concerned.

Might be some useful info to you here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/12-things-you-can-do-when-your-zj-stalls-1407423/

My '04 Grand Cherokee 4.0 did the same. Bad battery. If the battery is more than 3 years old I'd look there first.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
My '04 Grand Cherokee 4.0 did the same. Bad battery. If the battery is more than 3 years old I'd look there first.

This.

And your alternator needs to charge the battery properly as well. In some cars, once the alternator fails to charge, the ECU can't function, and the engine dies.

And you can actually see the voltage on the dash. But as always:
1a. Check for CODES!
1. Check spark
2. Check fuel delivery
3. Check physical electricity stuff, connections, corrosion, cables.

Then, electric and electronics.

Anyways, those sensors we talked about seem to go out frequeantly after some years.

I guess it could be out of gas but that would mean the fuel gas is showing different than it has before. Its pretty accurate. Hard to check spark on a waste spark system with no real wired. The vehicle died after it was warm and going 40 MPH. Cannot see being battery. No CEL. Maybe a pending. Crank and can sensors were replaced less than one year ago. Its cold to do a lot of work on it outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back