Dealership recomended I cross rotate tires.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Passenger side is evenly wearing (front and back) more than my Drivers side tires...

They recommend I cross rotate.

Now will my belts get shifted and get blisters and blow out on the highway?

Yes Original tires with 20k. Rotation after every 6k.

The Drivers side was gauged as "777" and the Passenger side at "666"

Last edited:
Absolutely cross rotate. Same side rotation was short lived unless you have directional tires.
The driven tires move to the same side and the non driven tires cross over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
My Passenger side is evenly wearing (front and back) more than my Drivers side tires...

No, I cross rotate unless I have directional tread.

I cross rotate for tires that aren't directional... the soob wears tires so nicely with that routine.

I always cross-rotate tires on all my vehicles and get a 4-wheel spin balance / check. Rotations are every 5,000 for mostly city driving and 7,500 for mostly highway driving.

On a front wheel drive (FWD) vehicle, the front-passenger tire wears the most, then the driver's side front, then the passenger-side rear, with the driver's side rear tire wearing the least.

For AWD, 4x4, or RWD vehicles, the passenger-side rear tire wears the most, then the driver's side rear, then passenger-side front, with driver's side front wearing the least.

Cross-rotating switches the tire with the most wear for the tire with the least wear. After 3 or 4 rotations, I use a tread depth gauge to fine-tune things in order to ensure the tire with the most tread is on the passenger-side front (for a FWD vehicle).

No.

capriracer noted that rotation is the key and that front-to-back or cross makes little difference.

I just was wondering what the OP is doing to cause his belt to shift and blisters to blow out
crazy.gif

Vern, you are going to tell us what kind of vehicle you are talking about, aren't you ??

Are your tires directional and what does your owners manual say about rotations?
21.gif

The plies in radial tires made in the 1980s or earlier will take a set from rolling one way, then if they are cross rotated and rolled in the opposite direction they may separate.

I tried it in the 1990s with a pair of old General radials from a garage sale. They worked perfectly for several months rolling the same direction as they did on the truck they were first installed on. Then, just for S & G I cross rotated them. One separated while driving about two weeks later, then the other separated spectacularly overnight about another week later, it was about 3 inches taller the next morning.

Radial tires made from the 1990s onward will not separate from cross rotation. Bias ply and belted tires from any manufacturing date won't either.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

THANK YOU! This is SO hard for some people to remember! I've heard lube techs arguing back and forth: "No, that's the pattern for RWD!" "No, it's the pattern for FWD!"

You don't cross the drive tires. It's as easy as that. It also applies for 4WD.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

THANK YOU! This is SO hard for some people to remember! I've heard lube techs arguing back and forth: "No, that's the pattern for RWD!" "No, it's the pattern for FWD!"

You don't cross the drive tires. It's as easy as that. It also applies for 4WD.

I cross front to rear for non-directional tires on all my cars, regardless if it is front or rear wheel drive. After 4 rotations all tires would have been in all positions and went back to original position.

This way I can remember easily.

Hello and WHAT?..."You don't cross the rears (or driven tires) but cross the fronts (or non-driven tires?)"

I can't go into how illogical that is. You're saying don't cross freshly driven tires but it's OK to do so after they've been on the front?.

For 4 wheel rotation:
I jack the rear end of my car and "swap 'em"
I jack the side and "front to rear 'em".
I repeat on the other side.

For 5 wheel rotation:
Do the exact same thing
When the driver's wheel (LF) comes to the rear (LR) it goes into the spare slot and the spare goes to the LR.

Done. Tires wear evenly.

My "Big Deal" Bridgestone Turanza 80,000 mile tires were all rotated by me and they wore evenly.
They were bald by 51,000 miles. The dealer said that was WAY BETTER THAN AVERAGE but no warranty could be claimed because they didn't do the rotating.
Stinking, filthy, lying dogs. They can all burn in the bad place. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello and WHAT?..."You don't cross the rears (or driven tires) but cross the fronts (or non-driven tires?)"

I can't go into how illogical that is. You're saying don't cross freshly driven tires but it's OK to do so after they've been on the front?.

When a tire is used as a drive tire it is subjected to extra stresses that non drive tires don't deal with. If you run a radial tire as a drive tire, then reverse its rotation it may generate more noise than it would if it was allowed to rest its plies by running in the same direction. The non-drive tires' plies have already been rested, so they can be cross rotated without the risk of generating extra noise.

Since your tires were Bridgestone, and Bridgestone is one of the highest spenders in noise reduction technology, it is unlikely they would make more noise no matter how you rotated them. With other brands it can make a difference.

I find it easier to replace the tires as they wear rather than replace them all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back