Battery for 09 Yamaha FZ6R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a new battery but I'm not sure on which to get. Trying to decide between Acid, Gel or Lithium. What's the pros and cons between the 3. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you can afford an Odyssey AGM, that's the way to go. They're very resistant to vibration, and seem to last longer.

Be sure to use a Battery Minder if you're not riding for a few weeks.

AGM is absorbed glass mat. It's a bit different than gel, and lends itself well to powersports. I'll be getting Odyssey batteries for bikes from now on.

Definitely make sure you have a Battery Minder or Tender that's compatible if you go that route.

Check EBay for new AGM batteries in your size. I have 3 bikes that use the same battery and they are all on Ebay batteries that I got for about $25. They are shipped full since they are sealed so all they beed is a top off charge.

I have one of the smart tenders and two regular tenders that keep them up through the winter. The oldest is 4 years and haven't seen any premature failures with AGM.

I replaced my battery 3 yrs ago. I went with Yuasa which was OEM. It's an AGM as well and I plug in the tender once or twice a month during storage. I picked that up on Amazon. Odyssey can be pricey.

Yes, Odyssey AGM batteries, or if you want light weight, go for an A123 Systems cell based LiPO4 battery such as 'Anti Gravity Batteries' or 'Full Spektrum Power'... but stay away from Shorai lithium packs.

Last edited:
Lithium Ion batteries... loose the weight not the juice...

All energy packed in storage presents some risk and Lithium-ion batteries
have about seven times the energy density of traditional lead-acid
batteries, which means you can get much more power from a much
smaller-and lighter-battery pack. As with any new, unfamiliar
technologies, lithium~ion batteries have spawned various alarmist
views but used properly, they're superior to their old lead-acid
predecessors.

For owners of performance oriented machines installing a Lithium
batteries is the cheapest quickest and easiest way to shed unwanted
weight but I’ve noticed they're not for everybody... especially some
of my customer who close their wallet with a torque wench...

I've been using Lithium Ion batteries since 2009... First was the
(SpeedCell) since sold to a customer... currently Mr.RC45 is powered
by a Shoria... I think days of the old heavy lead acid battery are
number... smart money is on the new light weight Lithium Ion
battery...

limg2.jpg

RC45 Standard Recommendation LFX14A4-BS12
ShoraiRC45Mod1_zps83497e47.jpg

ShoraiRC45Mod2_zpsfdff84a2.jpg

post-3131-0-84812000-1368423460.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

For owners of performance oriented machines installing a Lithium
batteries is the cheapest quickest and easiest way to shed unwanted
weight but I’ve noticed they're not for everybody... especially some
of my customer who close their wallet with a torque wench...

Meh! Lithium batteries are light, granted, but a lot of riders I see at the track should be concentrating on a rider weight reduction program, including myself...

Honestly...I would get the specs and dimensions (bring the old one, if possible) and hit the local Wal-Mart lawn & garden department! Wouldn't surprise me if you can replace a $150 "motorcycle" battery with a $50 L&G battery with exactly the same specs!

Thanks for the input guys. I did go to AAP and they did have my spec battery but not the correct size. It was to wide to fit the slot of my battery compartment. Thanks for clearing up that AGM and Gel batteries are different. May go to my local bike shop tomorrow.

I have had good luck with genuine Yuasa batteries. They fit perfectly, and in my experience, have given good service and life. Available through Amazon for about $77 with free shipping.

If you can't get an Odyssey (NA), and don't want a Lithium battery and appropriate charger, I'd get a genuine Yuasa.

The chinese batteries never seem to last, even with proper care.

If you get a Yuasa, follow the instructions for filling, and charging, before you put it into service.

I've had good luck with Deka batteries in my stuff. Not too many rougher uses than marine use at 60mph.

I run Staab Batteries in my bikes. They make the best offshore and yacht batteries on the market. These are the ones if you are out in the ocean and MUST have your batteries working, buy Staab.

Staab battery for my bike was $42.62 shipped to my door. Cranks strong every time.

http://www.staabbattery.com/category/mcc.html

slomo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back