Post your BULLETPROOF engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: hpb
Lol. Not quite 40 years - the OHC 6 was first released in 1988 in the EA Falcon,

The block started life as the old pushrod 170/250, then the crossflow with 3 cyl heads to sort it, then the sohc and finally the dohc.

Agreed, the block evolved from the 250 (I think they share the same bore spacing?), but apart from the starter motor and oil filter, I can't think of any parts shared between the pushrod engines and the SOHC's. Completely different animals.

Almost everything Nissan built before 1995 was tough. Also, practically every 6 cylinder engine they made was good.

Benz diesels get a large amount of fame for longevity, but many of their gasoline engines last for ages.

The original SAAB and Volvo engines lasted a long time, even if they were equipped with turbos.

The Ford modular series is excellent.

I will add the Nissan Z24. I have had 2. One had 360k miles on it when I sold it. It is still working on a friends farm. The other was transplanted into a Datsun 510 hatchback. That one went through a lot of abuse and never gave up.
I think almost all of the inline sixes were good engines.
I put a few Chevy 305s through the wringer too and never killed one.
Volvo B21 series engines were bullet proof as well.

Mercedes Benz M119 V8. Last handmade MB engines (other than AMG). 4 cams- 5 litters, 32 valves.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
slant 6 by chrysler

That's a good engine. I had one in a $50 '66 Dodge Dart that I never changed the oil on. Made it through 2 years of college frat parties- until somebody offered me $200 for it. Thought I was making a killing. That "Baja" dart is probably still going. We raised it up- put Armstrong Norseman tires on it- and drove it off road through Baja Mexico. The only thing I ever did to it besides the tires was put some Hella H4 headlights in it.

Glad to see all three of the engines in my cars mentioned in here! None are without their problems but they are all near 200k and have never left me stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back