WHY would Toyota say to use VACUUM to ATF Level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What's wrong with draining the factory fill and putting in the exact same amount? Factory approved procedures are not the only way things can be done.

I was contemplating that. That would be awesome.

But... and here comes the "ugh!" part...... I've met several members unfortunately who did the measurement of what came out and then did the procedure for fill level and the tranny was under filled from factory.

It's the same story over on VW forum.

How do you know the tranny is under filled from the factory? If you are using the 25 cent plastic tube as a measuring tool, then it can be easily argued that the QC on that tube does not match the QC of the ATF filling equipment in the factory. So how do you know you are getting the correct length on that tube? And then the manufacturer can also change the tube length specification at any time and you would never know about it. Simply put, people put too much trust in that cheap plastic tube.

Another point is that if the level was incorrect from the factory, and the trannies were as sensitive to the ATF level as the interwebs make it out to be, don't you think we would see a bunch of issues with the trannies on the factory fill?

Originally Posted By: pezzy669
Oh the mythical Toyota reliability.....they have spent tons of money keeping their issues under the rug since '02 and the sheep keep coming back for more. Meanwhile brands with proven reliability are overlooked based on perception. Hope these loyal Toyota folks get burned in the [censored].

Let's see

Sludging - ~3.5 million cars
Unintended accleration - ~3.8 million cars
1ZZ-FE oil burning (Celica and high volume Corolla)
2AZ-FE oil burning (High volume Camry & Rav-4)
2AZ-FE headgaskets

Are Toyota owners delusional? Toyota has been making complete junk since '01-02

While I'll agree that Toyota has had a lot of problems of late, this is over the top. Toyota is not perfect, and yes their aura of infallibility is getting tarnished, but it's not been making nothing but "complete junk" for a decade.

First of all I know several Camry owners in the sludging era that have ZERO sludging or oil burning problems. So, not every possibly affected owner is an actually affected owner.

Secondly my 10th Gen Corolla has had ZERO problems for the 80K+ miles I've driven it. It's not an exciting car but I track the mileage and get 33-36MPG consistently. Maintenance is cheap, and tires wear evenly and slowly. Yes, I've added ATF drain and fills to the factory schedule, and it did come with both a trans drain plug and dip stick/fill tube.

I took advantage of the unintended acceleration scare to get a good deal on my Corolla 3 years ago, so it has worked out well for me. Yes I put 80K miles on it in 3 years.

Another point is that if the level was incorrect from the factory, and the trannies were as sensitive to the ATF level as the interwebs make it out to be, don't you think we would see a bunch of issues with the trannies on the factory fill?

If that is the case then Toyota has been inventing tools and complex procedures for no good reason, and is guilty of a massive over-reaction to a non-problem.

Silly Toyota, massive over-reaction to non-problems is BITOG's job!

Originally Posted By: HangFire

If that is the case then Toyota has been inventing tools and complex procedures for no good reason, and is guilty of a massive over-reaction to a non-problem.

Silly Toyota, massive over-reaction to non-problems is BITOG's job!

I hope you understand that the tool was designed for the fluid that replaces the factory fill, not to correct the factory fill level. Also, no dealer will drain the factory fill and waste time measuring how much of it came out, plus they have no way of knowing that it indeed was the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
What's wrong with draining the factory fill and putting in the exact same amount? Factory approved procedures are not the only way things can be done.

I was contemplating that. That would be awesome.

But... and here comes the "ugh!" part...... I've met several members unfortunately who did the measurement of what came out and then did the procedure for fill level and the tranny was under filled from factory.

All of mine were under filled at the factory by about 8 ounces on average.

I have one of the 2AZ-FE engines. Im over 110k last i checked and no oil burning or head gaskets. But this is on the Scion engine, which I guess has a few tweaks to it versus the Camry one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back