0w40 mobil 1 or GC in 2013 nissan frontier vq40de

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that nissan vq engine prefers a heavier oil then the recommended 5w30. I've had good results from using GC 0w30 in my toyota and would love to use it in the vq40 but it's an SL rated and I need an SN. Would it harm anything to go ahead and use the GC? Or should I give mobil 1 0w40 a go? I don't mind losing a few mpg's if I'm getting better protection from the oil.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thats a fairly low specific output engine. Either oil will provide more than adequate protection, and should be suitable for extended OCI's.

Welcome. Alot of people use GC religiously here. Its a unicorn of oils. It will be just fine in your application. I have a VQ35 and run 5w-30 and it doesnt consume a bit of oil. Some VQs are picky and some arent. If youre willing to lose an mpg or 2 go for it. You probably wont notice the mpg drop in all honesty.

Will the SL rating kill the cats early? I keep reading mixed reviews..

I'm also reading that the vq engine does well on 0w40, but some are saying it's too think..

I need an oil change soon but keep getting mixed reviews lol. My head hurts from all the reading I've done the past week from this site haha

Last edited:
The SL rated oil will be fine for your VQ40, but it's not technically warranty compliant. The cats are only an issue if you're burning more oil than normal.

I'm not worried about warranty I just want better protection. I've used 5w30 mobil 1 ep and burn about 1/4 to 1/2 quarts every 5k miles so I'm not too worried about burning the oil.

I'd use the Mobil 1 0W40 but only because I can buy 5 quart jugs at Walmart for about $25 and GC 0w30 isn't at Walmart which means you have to find oil change specials or pay ridiculous auto parts store prices of 9$+ quart.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd use the Mobil 1 0W40 but only because I can buy 5 quart jugs at Walmart for about $25 and GC 0w30 isn't at Walmart which means you have to find oil change specials or pay ridiculous auto parts store prices of 9$+ quart.

Walmart also has the 0W40 GC. I think it's still on rollback for $21 for the 5 quart jugs.

Undate:

only 1000 miles on mobil 1 0w40 and the engine seems to run smoother and quiter. No mpg loss that I've noticed. Very happy with the oil so far.

Although M1 0w40 will work fine, we used 5w30 in our Infiniti M37 with 0 issues or excessive valvtrain noise. GTX Synblend and M1 were the predominant oils used.

When I purchased my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder with the VQ40DE I did a mountian of research on this subject. When the V6 40DE Nissan motor came out it was rated to run on several oil weights from 5w30 to 10w40 and for several years this was listed in the owners manual for this motor. Then at one point the Nissan VQ40DE was only rated for 5w30 exclusively for the Frontier, Pathfinder, and the XTera. From what I read there were no changes in the engine that would make Nissan need to change the oil weight to strictly 5w30 I am sure it was a measure to increase there overall fuel economy. Many people with this V6 run a 40 weight oil and with no issue and real good UOA. I use Mobil 1 5w30 in mine to keep it under the warranty although if there was an issue I dought Nissan would fight you on running a 40 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: Ruslan
Undate:

only 1000 miles on mobil 1 0w40 and the engine seems to run smoother and quiter. No mpg loss that I've noticed. Very happy with the oil so far.

You won't go wrong with the M1 0w40.

I ran M1 0w40 in my wife's 2006 Xterra (vq40de as well) with 0 issues. I ran Castrol Syntec 0w30 for a couple intervals prior, but detected some (perceived) valvetrain noise. Once I went to M1 0w40, all was well. I changed every 5k miles, but easily could've gone longer based on Blackstone reports. As the Xterra gets horrible MPGs, I never noticed differnce either way with different brand oils.

In her 2013 Xterra, I'm running M1 5w30 EP and MPGs are about the same as always.

Last edited:
Beat me to it. I was going to reference the same thing. I ran plenty of 10W30 and 10W40 in 2005 Xterra and it purred like a kitten. Will probably do the same thing with the Frontier once it's out of warranty.

I switched my 12 Frontier over to Amsoil SS 5W30 at 7,000 miles, and my engine seemed very smooth. Also got 22+ mpg hwy every rd trip as long as speed was kept between 70-73 mph. It was a 6 speed, but that shouldn't make much diff on hwy.

Only put 22,800 miles on it before getting rid of it, but it seemed to run just fine on Amsoil. Never had noticeable Valve Train noise with the exception of a cold start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back