2001 Corolla filter and oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

One of my colleague bought an 2001 Corolla with the 1.8l engine few months ago. Car has now 190.000 kms (120.000 miles).

Now, it is time for the first oil change, and since I helped him choose his car, he came to me for recommendations. I will probably do the oil change for him, so here are my questions:

- Is this engine part of the ones than can use 5w-20 instead of the 5w-30 oil initially required by Toyota?
- What is the PNs of the oil filter which goes on this engine?
- Is the oil filter on top of the engine? Canister or spin-on?

He drives about 20-25.000 kms (12-15.000 miles) a year, mainly highway driving to go to work (about 50-60 kms one way but not every day because he co-drives).

What would be the best way to do: conventional oil every 6 months or synthetic oil every year. Both checking dipstick level every month?

I have a stash of Motomaster (Shell) synthetic oil 5w20, so I can use this in this car if this now allowed by Toyota.

Otherwise, I will tell him to go to CanadianTire or Walmart and buy the oil which on sale this week (conventional or synthetic depending of your recommendations).
I will tell him to buy the oil filter at CanadianTire or Walmart too. What are the brands available over there for his car?

Thanks for your help.

Step 1: Find out if its burning oil. This is a year known for oil burning. If it is, you might want to run a HM oil to reduce the burning of oil. I dont think the 2001 was backspeccd to run 5w20 but I doubt the car will mind.

If its not burning any oil, run a good synthetic out to 10k kms and run a twice a year oil change. Any major 5w30 Synthetic and a Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 filter (those usually go on sale at Canadian tire every so often). I find Walmart usually has alot of cheap filters.

I have three family members with these same cars two being 01, and one being 02. They all developed into the oil burning/using cars. One uses a lot less then the others. I would assume your friend's car will use some oil, only seems inevitable to be honest. I have tried everything under the son to slow the use down, and nothing has really worked that well. I would say dump in the cheapest oil you can find with a decent filter and the oil use will probably be enough to constantly keep the oil fresh. That is kind of rule of thumb I am doing for the family member's cars now. Change once per year with a new filter but the oil consumption is enough to not make me worry about changing it but once per year.

Oh, I do believe these were all spec for 5-30.

Last edited:
It's best to check your manual for the oil weight. You can check the oil filter type when you get to the auto parts store. You'll see lookup books or a small computer.

I own a different 2001 Toyota with the same 4 cylinder 1ZZ-FE engine. Your car takes a 30 weight so look for 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-30. It's oil filter is the Fram 4967 variety and is probably located at the bottom as it is in mine.

Since it's you guy's 1st time changing the oil on this new(old) car. I go conventional oil every 5k miles for the 1st year. This is just so you can guage the oil interval for yourself and to properly flush out whatever was there prior.

I only recommend going 10k if you do an oil analysis OR if his commute is primarily highway. Best of luck and I'm glad you guys are doing your own maintenance. It could become a hobby!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not 5w-20

I would use a 5w-30 of your choice and the larger filter from a 2002 Camry 2.4L

It is a direct fit for your motor. FRAM Ultra XG 4386

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Hi,

One of my colleague bought an 2001 Corolla with the 1.8l engine few months ago. Car has now 190.000 kms (120.000 miles).

Now, it is time for the first oil change, and since I helped him choose his car, he came to me for recommendations. I will probably do the oil change for him, so here are my questions:

- Is this engine part of the ones than can use 5w-20 instead of the 5w-30 oil initially required by Toyota?
- What is the PNs of the oil filter which goes on this engine?
- Is the oil filter on top of the engine? Canister or spin-on?

He drives about 20-25.000 kms (12-15.000 miles) a year, mainly highway driving to go to work (about 50-60 kms one way but not every day because he co-drives).

What would be the best way to do: conventional oil every 6 months or synthetic oil every year. Both checking dipstick level every month?

I have a stash of Motomaster (Shell) synthetic oil 5w20, so I can use this in this car if this now allowed by Toyota.

Otherwise, I will tell him to go to CanadianTire or Walmart and buy the oil which on sale this week (conventional or synthetic depending of your recommendations).
I will tell him to buy the oil filter at CanadianTire or Walmart too. What are the brands available over there for his car?

Thanks for your help.

there are 2 similar yet different 1.8l engine options for that car (at least for it's siblings in 2003 anyway)
there's the 1zzfe, and the 2zzge- normally in the higher, sportier trim levels, like the Matrix XR/Pontiac Vibe GT (corolla wagon)
the 2ZZ-GE Takes a larger filter than the 1ZZ-FE.

If it's the 1ZZ-fe engine in that car, I have a chart for most of the popular off the shelf brands of filters i can share. and i know a couple of the ones for the 2ZZ-ge, as they can be used as an "oversized" Filter.

5w30 sn rated oil every 6 months or 4000 miles and a wix filter or maybe a fram ultra you can leave on for two changes im not sure about the fram ultra yet but what i have seen online for the most part is good so far but time will tell..

Hi all,

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Earlyre, feel free to communicate your list, it will be appreciated.

More news from the car: Bought 3 months ago and 5.500 kms (3.500 miles) later, the oil level seems to still be the same from when he bought it. It seems to be lucky on this part.

I plan to propose him to change the oil with conventional 5w-30 oil on sale with whatever bigger filter he will find at CT.
Next autumn (in about 6 months), if everything seems to be okay, I will propose him to use synthetic 5w-20 with a quality filter and change annually. Checking the oil level every month will ensure him that it is the right way to do or move back to a more conservative route.

What is your opinion on that?

Thanks.

We would specifically recommend our Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology for your 2001 Toyota Corolla (based on all of the parameters that you have laid out). In addition, your engine requires a PZ-38 spin on oil filter – and it is locate in the lower half of engine. Finally, we (and Toyota) would recommend that you adhere to their specified oil drain interval, regardless of type of oil (conventional or synthetic). Specifically, Toyota says that your engine oil should be changed every 4 months or every 5,000 miles. - The Pennzoil Team

13 years old with 190000 miles this is a well run in seasoned soldier.

Check the service log book to see where it had been previously serviced and find out what brand and grade was used and stick with that. (Providing it meets the OEM user manual guidelines)

If the previous oil and grade cannot be established then use a semi synthetic in the recommended grade, I would probably use Pennzoil Gold or in Australia the Shell Helix HX8 or HX7 brands in the correct grade.

Not sure about high mileage oil just yet I would be reluctant to use as it is not an oil burner.

The OCI period should be based on the OEM guidelines for conditions of use.

Forget the BITOG 5w-20 grade hype in this instance based on the history of vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
13 years old with 190000 miles this is a well run in seasoned soldier.

Check the service log book to see where it had been previously serviced and find out what brand and grade was used and stick with that. (Providing it meets the OEM user manual guidelines)

If the previous oil and grade cannot be established then use a semi synthetic in the recommended grade, I would probably use Pennzoil Gold or in Australia the Shell Helix HX8 or HX7 brands in the correct grade.

Not sure about high mileage oil just yet I would be reluctant to use as it is not an oil burner.

The OCI period should be based on the OEM guidelines for conditions of use.

Forget the BITOG 5w-20 grade hype in this instance based on the history of vehicle.

It's actually got 120,000 miles I believe.

Stick with dino and just change the oil and keep an eye on it. Most say these engines are good with a 5000 mile OCI on regular dino 5w30.

My 2001 Corolla has 74k miles and I'm currently running 0w20 as an experiment. So far I have over 9000 miles on this oil with no burning but most say its inevitable.

Have you guys looked under the oil fill cap? Most of the 1ZZFE engines I have seen will have a light varnish on the top end.

Most any
Originally Posted By: sw99
Stick with dino and just change the oil and keep an eye on it. Most say these engines are good with a 5000 mile OCI on regular dino 5w30.

My 2001 Corolla has 74k miles and I'm currently running 0w20 as an experiment. So far I have over 9000 miles on this oil with no burning but most say its inevitable.

Have you guys looked under the oil fill cap? Most of the 1ZZFE engines I have seen will have a light varnish on the top end.
Most any car will, it's an area on condensation.

Hi,

My colleague came at home with motomaster synthetic oil (shell) 5w-30, despite me asking for a conventional oil. He listened to the canadian tire salesman... his choice.

He also got a Tough guard oil filter, I believe (orange can with black grippy top). At least, he got the longer one for the Camry that I told him to buy.

We will change the oil in 6 months and see what next at that time. But it is not an oil burner... for now.

I tried to check in the fill hole but could not see anything as there is a small sheetmetal which limits the sight.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Hi,

My colleague came at home with motomaster synthetic oil (shell) 5w-30, despite me asking for a conventional oil. He listened to the canadian tire salesman... his choice.

He also got a Tough guard oil filter, I believe (orange can with black grippy top). At least, he got the longer one for the Camry that I told him to buy.

We will change the oil in 6 months and see what next at that time. But it is not an oil burner... for now.

I tried to check in the fill hole but could not see anything as there is a small sheetmetal which limits the sight.

I too would have suggested Synthetic, -30C in winters aint no joke.

But since you say 6 months may summer one day come or jump right to fall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back