Indian Dark Horse Reveal on... Friday the 13th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Indian is going to do the reveal on their Dark Horse model on Friday the 13th next week? Interesting.

Is it just a blacked out Chief or something?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Is it just a blacked out Chief or something?

Were I a gamblin' man - that is where I'd put my money... I predict much black of the not shiny variety..

Indian-Dark-Horse-leak-02.jpg

See Also: Indian Unveiling 2016 Darkhorse February 13 2015 in Chicago

I was hoping for a new model of bike from them on this, but I guess blacking out a Chief still looks kind of cool. I'd be putting a matte black Peace Pipe exhaust from Dirty Bird Concepts on there to round out the look, though. Sound better too.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I wish they would make a bike that looks more like a H-D Street Bob, Fatboy or similar. I just don't like those fenders.

I've got a street Bob. That and the fat Bob are the only Harley's I like. I'm not a harley guy like many fanatics. I liked this particular bike and once I did some engine mods it actually became 'hot'.
The dark horse is nice but not that nice.

Throw some accessories on and you'll be spending money FAST...

1400 for bags????

They are appropriate bags for it but still...

indiandarkhorse.jpg

And it really needs laced wheels with black rims and hub and chrome spokes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Sure seems like alot of money first for the bike, then to add any accessory's to it will cost a bundle. For a bike that's meant to COPY a Harley, and for a bike with no track record.,,

Just curious, do you suggest it's a Harley copy because of the V-Twin layout?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I wish they would make a bike that looks more like a H-D Street Bob, Fatboy or similar. I just don't like those fenders.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Sure seems like alot of money first for the bike, then to add any accessory's to it will cost a bundle. For a bike that's meant to COPY a Harley, and for a bike with no track record.,,

I suppose someone maybe cross shopping Indian Chiefs and Softails but really IMO it is more a Touring class competitor. I doubt that anyone is cross shopping Dynas and Chiefs unless they just don't know what they want.

I also don't really see it as a Harley Copy PARTICULARY the Dark Horse maybe it is similar to a slim or fat boy lo in black denim but being flat/matte black is about where the similarity ends.

Not sure how a Chief would look with the bobber treatment. Stripping away the bodywork is going to reveal quite a bit of modern looking stuff I fear.

I think Indian is going to have to come out with another platform between the Scout and Chief to really get to the Dyna and Softail customers.

I guess if you want a single seat no bags no windshield budget leader the Dark Horse makes sense, but add a windsheild and bags and passenger accommodations and you've basically created a black Vintage with alloy wheels and not saved any money... I personally would rather have the Vintage.

I guess if the Classic and Dark Horse start selling really well, it would be pretty easy for HD to start taking stuff off a Road King and lowering the price to compete...

Absolutely. They just made this bike, just like the Indian motorcycle company was just formed. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original Indian Motorcycle company. They are the third company to "BUY the Indian NAME"
that's their only connection.The original Indian motorcycle company went out of business in 1954, and the 2 previous owners of the NAME couldn't make it work. And again sold only the Indian name. So why not be like Burger king and Mcdonalds, and come out with the same product like Harley does, but call it something different?. Harley is the only brand I've ever seen with the matt finish, so does anyone think the NEW Indian company just thought of it?. The all blacked out bike thing is coming to a end as it's been overdone by just about every brand, and people want something new and different. It's obvious that Indian is trying to get a % of Harleys market, just like Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda have been trying to do do for years. But they abandoned so many model bikes thru the years I think they have given up. And without a strong dealer network and competition from their own Victory line of bikes, it will be a matter of time and lost money that will cause try number 3, to resurrect a dead brand to shut down.,,

Apparently one thing they did copy Harley on, at least in this instance, is that those things were being loaded onto trucks while (or before) the launch party was going on.

Couple people on the Indian forum claim their bikes are on the truck, one guy says he will probably pick it up with extras installed Thursday...

HD did that with the Road Glides and 14.5 intros, dealers had them by the time the announcement e-mails went out...

Absolutely. They just made this bike, just like the Indian motorcycle company was just formed. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original Indian Motorcycle company. They are the third company to "BUY the Indian NAME"
that's their only connection.The original Indian motorcycle company went out of business in 1954, and the 2 previous owners of the NAME couldn't make it work. And again sold only the Indian name. So why not be like Burger king and Mcdonalds, and come out with the same product like Harley does, but call it something different?. Harley is the only brand I've ever seen with the matt finish, so does anyone think the NEW Indian company just thought of it?. The all blacked out bike thing is coming to a end as it's been overdone by just about every brand, and people want something new and different. It's obvious that Indian is trying to get a % of Harleys market, just like Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Honda have been trying to do do for years. But they abandoned so many model bikes thru the years I think they have given up. And without a strong dealer network and competition from their own Victory line of bikes, it will be a matter of time and lost money that will cause try number 3, to resurrect a dead brand to shut down.,,

Well I can certainly agree on the prior two tries to revive Indian, that were basically Harley clone engines with a few differences on the outside to look like the original engines. Polaris on the other hand seems to be the most serious of the attempts to revive the name by spending big dollars to design their own proprietary engine and bike, no catalog parts bikes here. Whether they are successful remains to be seen. If they fail, it will be the most expensive failure of the three attempts. Perhaps the third time is the charm. The only bike that Indian builds that I'm remotely interested in is the Scout, the other models are a little to retro for me. As far as Polaris goes, I do like my '14 Victory Cross Country. I have no reason to believe it won't be a good bike, but time will tell there too. I can say that I rode a 2014 road glide prior to buying the Vic. I liked the looks of the road glide, but that's where it ended.

Originally Posted By: whip
I see Bigcahuna has his broken record player out again.
Do you have something to add to the discussion, or are you just building up your post count?.,,

You don't deny that your rants on the history of the Indian name, your bashing of anything not from Harley, and your worship of the bar and shield aren't a broken record........

I see Bigcahuna has his broken record player out again.
Do you have something to add to the discussion, or are you just building up your post count?.,,

You don't deny that your rants on the history of the Indian name, your bashing of anything not from Harley, and your worship of the bar and shield aren't a broken record........

Again you haven't contributed anything to the discussion at hand, so I will. Not everybody is aware of the history of the Indian motorcycle company, I just don't want to see people have the wool pulled over their eyes. I don't "bash" anything not Harley. I educate people that say things in regards to Harley's that are simply, not true. I also don't worship any bar and or shield. If people need to be reminded of whats real and what is a old wife's tale, I'm glad to remind them. If you feel my posts are a broken record, don't read them, it won't bother me if you don't.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back