Biking on an interstate highway (on the shoulder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I used to take long training rides on Route 78 LONG BEFORE the federal highway dept. banned bicycles on interstates (very early '70s).
It generally had very wide shoulders, albeit full of trash, broken beer bottles, and 'road gators', but the only REAL problem was the yahoos playing Darrell Waltrip getting off the exit ramps.
mad.gif

I once rode from my town (Union, N.J.) all the way out to Phillipsburg, N.J. (and back), and even tried crossing the bridge into Easton, but they would not let me through the tolls.
frown.gif

Why didn't you take the Free Bridge across?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Bikes aren't allowed on interstates.

Not true. I've ridden legally on several interstates. It's only illegal if it's specifically posted for no cycling.

It's not ideal, in fact pretty jarring when the trucks pass. But in some cases there's just no alternate.

Examples:
I-10 on Southern Tier Transcontinental in New Mexico and far West Texas. http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/southern-tier/
I-25 between Raton, NM and Trinidad, CO
I-80 on Transamerica Trail between Wy130 and Rawlins, WY http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/transamerica-trail/
I-84 (up until recently) between Old US30 and the Bridge of the Gods (a bike trail was recently completed to eliminate having to ride on the freeway this section)

Assuming you are biking for recreation, why do you care to cut off miles from your ride? It is not as if you are using the bike because you have no car to go from point A to point B.

Heck, I won't even pull over to the side of the highway in an emergency if I could hobble up to next exit. I don't care if I destroy the tire or rim in the process. My life is worth more than the parts on the car.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: UncleLee
You don't drive your car on the rail road tracks..so why would you ride a bicycle in the road. The tax payers in my area have paid for over 100 miles of bicycle trails, and people still ride on the road. absolute nuisance if you ask me. Not to mention very unsafe. Not only for the cyclist but for on coming traffic as fustrated drivers move into the on coming lane to get around them.

Actually, stuff like pedestrians, horses, farm equipment, and bicyclists, have an absolute right to the roads, while motor vehicles have a privilege. This is why the latter have to yield to the former.

A motorist has to turn a steering wheel and change speed via controls. Boo hoo. A cyclist has to exercise. And he's saving the rest of us some petroleum to use later.
I love bicycle riding but really who will win the fight the car or the person with the right of way riding a bicycle ? Claiming the right of way in these types of circumstances is a fools claim. Ride at our own risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back