Fram Orange Can O' Delight PH3614 Cut Open @ 5385 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Installed on an SL2 engine. Initial fill was ~3.6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and 0.4 quart Valvoline NGMLHM 10w-40. 4 quarts top-off: 2.5 quarts of VNGML 10w-40, 0.5 quart Valvoline VR1 SAE60, 1 quart Rislone Engine Treatment. On oil change day (1/31) I performed a flush using Chemtool B-12. After 20 minutes of idling I drained the oil and refilled the sump with some MS5K and some MMO leaving the PH3614 in place. I then took a short drive and then drained again and installed a FL-400S and refilled with 1.5 quarts PP 5w-20 & 2.5 quarts of PP 5w-30. So this filter put up with a lot for its entry level status.

Filter was base down for 5 days before I cut it.
1z39i5e.jpg

Here is the total that was still trapped after cutting
2a5hcas.jpg

Looks pretty good all around
w2dag4.jpg

mhpq2p.jpg

2wn5xu9.jpg

Here is a shot of the dome end to see the impression from the relief valve
f2shw2.jpg

I think I paid $1.59 for this at Lowes. The media was rock solid all around. The ADBV was amazingly soft. I think I may have got my money's worth on this filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Looks like it did it's job.
Thanks for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

X2

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
2wn5xu9.jpg

The only thing I don't like much about Extra Guard is lack of filter media as shown in this picture. If they increase filter media by about 1/3 then it is okay.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
That thing just screams "quality".

LOL! I would say that the OP got his money's worth for $1.59. Just like some of my vehicles will get the $1.99 QS filter from Menards and it will do just fine. While I have a few vehicles that I would have no problem putting this $1.59 Fram on, I also have a few vehicles on the road that wouldn't get near this filter, just because the vehicles deserve something better.
IMO, this is an adequate filter for the price of $1.59 and I'll leave it at that.

I would never waste $3.50, over 5000 miles, more than $1.49 to get an Ultra after seeing that filter. For that money saved I can buy 1.5 gals of regular gas.

He paid $1.59 and the filter performed as it should.
That is a good value for the money.

The problem with FRAM OCOD filters isn't so much the quality it is the price, which has always been too high. At 2 bucks they are a good deal.

Add a few more pleats spaced evenly and that's a perfect filter. Nice straight pleats, good seal on the leaf spring, lined up center tube, adbv that holds oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back