Damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So pretty much, the other day I was on the phone and "oversteer" on a corner and the tyre goes up onto the kerb and suffered sidewall damage and I ended up replacing it. (wheel suffered no damage whatsoever) 20mph and the kerb would've been less than 4".
Could there be any damage to the vehicle istelf, and if so, what should I be looking for?

Cheers

requires alignment and front suspension check. Alignment maybe off if steering is not @ 12O'clock.

Also check hub for "true-ness", etc.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How did you hit the curb? Straight on or sideways?

Do you feel any vibration? Does the car track straight?

Hit the curved part... if that makes any sense (like i cut the corner too much)
After driving home, I don't feel/hear anything abnormal

If you're going to bend a frame, you're going to bend it a lot. Overcoming springiness of steel, etc.

Just from my experiences with saturn subframes... they all go in the same spot, and always dramatically.

If it drives straight after the tire replacement I wouldn't do anything. If it pulls one way or starts wearing the tire funny, get an alignment done. There's some adjustability there to get it in line. It it won't align, probably tie rod, lower control arm or strut would be wear to look next.

Most cars can take a surprising amount of abuse without wrecking the suspension.

I would toss the phone before you kill yourself or even worst others.

Thanks everyone, I've had a look underneath and visually everything looks okay. Drives straight in 12 o clock position at both low and high speeds. Its getting serviced and govt safety checked in the next few weeks so if there were to be anything they'd pick it up there.

If you oversteered, then you clipped the kerb with the rear wheel, yes? So that isn't gonna affect the steering or front end alignment. Most likely damage would be to a rear wheel bearing, but if it still drives ok and isn't rumbling, you're probably ok.

Echoing what CT8 said, mate, stay off the phone while you're driving!

Originally Posted By: hpb
If you oversteered, then you clipped the kerb with the rear wheel, yes? So that isn't gonna affect the steering or front end alignment. Most likely damage would be to a rear wheel bearing, but if it still drives ok and isn't rumbling, you're probably ok.

Front wheel. Kinda hard to explain as it isnt really a 90 degree corner..... Im sure to stay of the phone. That replacement tyre was [censored] expensive.

Originally Posted By: wpp01
Originally Posted By: hpb

Front wheel. Kinda hard to explain as it isnt really a 90 degree corner..... Im sure to stay of the phone. That replacement tyre was [censored] expensive lesson learnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back