Should replace oil drain gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually replace gasket every other oil change.
Just went to part store, the sales person tell me don't need replace if no leaking. Is it correct? Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless I buy an oil filter that comes with a crush washer from the dealer, I never replace it. The important thing is not to crank down the drain plug so hard that you mushroom out the washer.

I would always replace it at every change, their too cheap to take a chance.
"the sales person tell me don't need replace if no leaking" Sure but that's before you removed and re-used it!

in my 55 years of driving and changing my own oil I've maybe replaced the crush washer 2 or 3 times.

Yet to experience a leak.

I bought a bulk bag of crush washers for my Tacoma and Honda. I sleep easy knowing that I am following the rules.

I actually had a problem with the CW on the wife's Honda tranny, and it leaked. Not worth cutting corners.

Never replaced any gaskets on any vehicles i've owned, my 83 Silverado still has the original gasket on the drain plug with 230K on the clock
thumbsup2.gif

I replace the crush washer every change (buy in bulk cheap on eBay ahead of time)

I also change the bolt itself every half dozen years or so, but that's mainly down to ham fisted people touching them previously.

I never worry about crush washers or cross threaded on drain plugs(oil or transmission), because I use a fluid extractor to change oil and ATF.

We are talking about a part that costs less than 50 cents to purchase. Some of us spend 10 plus bucks on an oil filter but will skimp out on a part that's very inexpensive to replace. I replace it every time on the Accord and replace as needed on her Equinox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back