Is Delo 400 LE 5W30 a good oil for every engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently own 11 things with diesel engines (light trucks, heavy trucks, tractors, skid steers, generators, compressors, etc) and 10 things with gas engines like cars, pickups, atvs, utvs and then about 5 small gas engines like lawn mowers, pressure washers, generators, etc.

As you can imagine nearly everything specifies a different grade of oil.

I am really wanting to find one oil that fits all that I can buy in bulk and use in my 25+ engines.

Obviously it must be diesel rated and it seems many of my gas engines call for 5w20 or 5w30. I have been hesitant to run 5w40 in them.

I recently found this oil and I can buy it for about $22 a gallon. Will this be a good solution?

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=384346&docFormat=PDF

Are any of these 25+ engines still under warranty and calling for something like ILSAC GF-5 spec? That would be my only concern. If not, I'd probably go ahead and use it.

Wal-Mart SuperTech 15W40 in all the engines that call for a 15W40 weight oil. Conventional 5W30 in all the vehicles that call for a 5W20/5W30/10W30 weight. That way you only have to stock two oils. I would be hesitant to run a 5W30 in Texas summer heat in a diesel that gets heavy use.

Surely you can find space to stock two oils?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are any of these 25+ engines still under warranty and calling for something like ILSAC GF-5 spec? That would be my only concern. If not, I'd probably go ahead and use it.

Honestly I don't know. The only things under warranty are a couple ford pickups, and a couple kubota UTVs.

I have been using delo 5w40 in my diesels and Mobil 1 5w20 or 5w30 in the gas engines

Originally Posted By: Bdog

I recently found this oil and I can buy it for about $22 a gallon. Will this be a good solution?

not cheap. can't you buy M1 or PP at that pricing?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Wal-Mart SuperTech 15W40 in all the engines that call for a 15W40 weight oil. Conventional 5W30 in all the vehicles that call for a 5W20/5W30/10W30 weight. That way you only have to stock two oils. I would be hesitant to run a 5W30 in Texas summer heat in a diesel that gets heavy use.

Surely you can find space to stock two oils?

We could and that is what we have been doing. I buy the oil at wal mart. They often don't have much in stock. Certainly not enough to change everything. My problem has been I often buy a specific oil for the oil change I am doing that day. Ford gas truck - 5w20. Chevy gas. 5w30, atv 10w30, diesel 5w40 etc. Before I know it I have a half dozen different oils on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

not cheap. can't you buy M1 or PP at that pricing?

Yes that is roughly the same price I pay for m1 or 5w40 diesel oil.

It is not really a coat savings why I like it I was thinking the benefit would be one oil to fool with.

In Texas where it doesn't get very cold very often, my recommendation would be Shell Rotella T5 10w30 for a one-size-fits-all oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
In Texas where it doesn't get very cold very often, my recommendation would be Shell Rotella T5 10w30 for a one-size-fits-all oil.

IMHO, 5W40 sounds more like one size fits all in texas. the only problem would be less fuel efficiency in the 0W20 cars.

I wouldn do a one size fits all, maybe a two size fits 1/2. a light 5w30 for all cars and a light 15w40 with no MG
for everything else.
I don't like the CHEVRON/DELO as a multipurpose . Ive run it as an amendment in an 09 Subaru EJ with poor results. Rotella triple 10w30 was the go-to.

The pep boyz 15w40 is looking good for a bargain price.

Of course the XoM DELVAC is stellar.

Lookie Here:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated HDEO 2015.html

Last edited:
Checking Amazon, the Chevron full synthetic 5w30 is actually cheaper per gallon than the Shell synthetic blend 10w30. Weird. But the Amazon prices are higher than what I have seen RT5 for locally. I've never seen the Chevron oil in the stores around here.

What constitutes cold?

I live in the Texas panhandle. I also travel to oklahoma and Kansas. It is really rare for me to see below zero but single digits are not uncommon.

Some people are recommending a 10w30 as a one size fits all. Why this instead of 5w30? Most my gas engines spec a 5w oil and I am currently using 5w40 in the diesels.

It is my understanding the second number is the viscosity at operating temp and the first relates to how well it flows cold. Wouldn't a 5w30 be better than a 10w30 in virtually all applications?

It is my understanding the second number is the viscosity at operating temp and the first relates to how well it flows cold. Wouldn't a 5w30 be better than a 10w30 in virtually all applications?

You got it. 10-20 years ago, 10wXX oils could be made with fewer viscosity modifiers than a 5wXX oil so that was to the advantage of a 10wXX, but these days it seems like most blenders use a higher native VI base oil, making the 5wXX or even 0wXX more desirable than 10wXX which tends to have a lower VI base oil. This is largely indirect evidence (NOACK, other parameters) rather than anything you'll find published, so take it FWIW.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

This is what I would suggest, too. Around here one can get it for around $15-18 a gallon, depending on if it's on sale. Good price for a good all-around synthetic oil, especially with it being so versatile.

A fleet operator recently lab tested 5w-30 and 10w-30 Mobil 1 and also Chevron's passenger car line, Havoline synthetic in both 5w-30 and 10w-30. The test results showed that the 5w and 10w versions within each brand tested exactly the same.

Also the Amsoil 30 weight heavy duty oil can pass for a 5w-30.

If you choose an dual rated oil like Delo 5w-30 synthetic for all your vehicles you might consider contacting a distributor for a bulk purchase just to make sure you're happy with your retail purchases.

My uncle has many engines in vehicles and equipment like you and shops at tractor supply, I don't know if location near you. He buys 2-3 grades and can be purchased in larger amounts 5 Gal pails and larger, of many of the top brands mentioned by others above.

What constitutes cold?

I live in the Texas panhandle. I also travel to oklahoma and Kansas. It is really rare for me to see below zero but single digits are not uncommon.

Some people are recommending a 10w30 as a one size fits all. Why this instead of 5w30? Most my gas engines spec a 5w oil and I am currently using 5w40 in the diesels.

"Cold" is when the ambient temperature gets down close to the cold flow test temperature at which the oil was rated. In the case of a 10W oil, that would be -30C (-22F) for cold pumping. It doesn't get that cold in Texas.

I was thinking of favoring protection of your diesels when I recommended a 10w30. Thinking that you may have Ford Powerstrokes in your fleet, I was erring on the side of caution to use the generally more shear-resistant 10w30 instead of the 5w30.

I'm with A_Harman on this one.
When you see CJ-4/SN you get the lower SAPS than with CJ-4/SM.

The 10W30 mentioned above will likely have a higher flash point
than the 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back