how many times can I clean a paper filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never ran any other than a wix as I get a good price on them. I wanted to try a fram but could not find one the day I was looking for one.

I cleaned the outer foam today and I vacuumed the filter today. Made a huge improvement in power and less smoke. I think the foam is the bigger restriction.

A pre cleaner setup would be pretty cool. We have the older style donaldsons with the bowl on our tractors and they work well. Its amazing how much dirt they catch.

International used a taller filter element on their trucks with the IDI. It uses the same base but a taller lid and filter.

Ive been working on making one work with my truck. Biggest problem is the lid hits the firewall. A truck with a body lift would probably clear it no problem. Ive been working on making an offset base to clear the fire wall. I have yet to finish it though.

Here is a comparison of the international filter and stock filter side by side.

DSC02652_zps6becc18c.jpg

Amsoil EA filter just picked up 5 shipped for $48 from the Amsoil website. Looks like they are running out of a lot of applications. I got them for 2007 Subaru WRX and a 1999 mercury sable. As cheap as they were probably will only clean them once then pitch after the secomd run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
FYI the air filter is the old skool round with a lid held down with a wing nut.

You can use a pantyhose at the inlet of the filter, it will catch most sands and some dust, you just replace/clean pantyhose every few weeks.

I use discarded pantyhose in my cars, I don't need to change air filters for 60-80k miles.

Another possibility for DIY pre-cleaner is the replacement foam sheets for window air conditioners sold at hardware stores.

Originally Posted By: Skanky
Amsoil EA filter just picked up 5 shipped for $48 from the Amsoil website. Looks like they are running out of a lot of applications. I got them for 2007 Subaru WRX and a 1999 mercury sable. As cheap as they were probably will only clean them once then pitch after the secomd run.

Amsoil never made a filter for this application. Donaldson the company that made the EA filters on the other hand does make a nano fiber version for this application. The part number is EAF5187. Currently running one in my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back