Can't decide on which tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I have info overload. Size is 215-60-16 on 2011 Camry XLE.
Why V rated tires are on there who knows.
So far I am down to Michelin Premier and the Pirelli P7 AS Plus.
The Cooper CS5 is a outsider.
The dealer put Primewell Valera on it and they are loud, are horrible after a little jaunt in one inch of snow yesterday.
smirk.gif

Even on dry pavement I can spin them. They must have hard tread compound.

Tire rating seems more to do with the size, the manufacturers assume the bigger tires will be used on higher performance cars. So whether you're driving a Smart Fortwo or Lambo, if they happen to have the same tire size (unrealistic, I know, just making a point) then they'll probably have the same speed rating.

I would buy the pirelli though. Michelin has probably as good traction, but I'd bet it wears noticeably faster than the perelli, assuming they have similar wear ratings.

Maybe look into Continental? I've been pleased with life/performance with them on 3 different vehicles.

I put the Michelins on my car a few months back, and the traction is good both wet and dry. But my biggest complaint is how slow they are. It takes more gas to get the car moving, it takes longer to accelerate, and they've reduced my MPG rather considerably.

Before buying them I was going to go with the Continental PureContacts. But the Pirelli was the third tire I was also considering. Without having used either of them, I wish I had gone with either one over my Michelins. So I vote for the Pirelli's.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you liked what was on it, why didn't you just have another set of them put on?

I'm betting the tires that are on it, were installed by a car dealer before he bought it.

Out of the choices that you listed, I'd get the Pirelli's P7 A/S. I have them on my Subaru and they are very nice tires with great all around grip, comfort, and tread-wear. I'd personally say screw the V rating and get the H rated tire. It will still handle well but will be slightly more comfortable.

If you were open to outside suggestions I'd recommend taking a look at the General Altimax RT43 tires in your size. They will save you about $100 off of the set and they are very comfortable/capable tires.

I have had good luck with Michelin
I couldn't wear the tread out
I replaced them due to years

I said in another thread, that I really like the Premier A/S that I installed onto my Prius last week.

Great traction and very quiet for an A/S. I've found the rolling resistance to be acceptable for an aftermarket touring-type all-season.

How do you beat this price for a well made "Made in the USA" tire?
Dunlop Signature II at tireRack.com
Size: 215/60R16
Serv. Desc: 95H
UTQG: 580 A A Price: $80.00 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

not a true price, add 12$ per tire for shipping then + installation.

so about 400-425$ installed (local price)

the way to beat that price would be waiting on a DTD sale with double rebates etc.

That is certainly a decent above average touring tire for a good price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
not a true price, add 12$ per tire for shipping then + installation.
so about 400-425$ installed (local price)
the way to beat that price would be waiting on a DTD sale with double rebates etc.
That is certainly a decent above average touring tire for a good price.

{Barberton, land of the Barberton Chicken dishes, Belgrade Gardens! I lived in Green, worked in Akron for Loral (used to be Goodyear) years ago.}
I've taken the TireRack prices into DiscountTire and got them to price match several times. I think the shipping is about what local taxes are, and yes you have to factor in balancing/mounting.

Last edited:
Give the Cooper CS5 Ultra a good look. Installed a set on my 2006 Camry. Very quiet, good grip (I live in the Northeast); I'll find out about the wear in the coming months. Plus Cooper has a 45 day test drive. Check Discount Tire Direct for prices. Most national chains will match their price.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
The dealer put Primewell Valera on it and they are loud, are horrible after a little jaunt in one inch of snow yesterday.
smirk.gif

Michelin! Pirelli has really good wear rating. However, what do you sacrifice for that? Handling? Yes, but not big concern on Camry, it is not BMW. Braking? Yes. And that is why I am always skeptical about these ultra long-life tires.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
smirk.gif

Michelin! Pirelli has really good wear rating. However, what do you sacrifice for that? Handling? Yes, but not big concern on Camry, it is not BMW. Braking? Yes. And that is why I am always skeptical about these ultra long-life tires.

On the contrary...The Camry NEEDS more tire than comes with it...especially given how much room there is for improvement, bigger and tackier make the Camry a much better handling car...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you liked what was on it, why didn't you just have another set of them put on?

I'm betting the tires that are on it, were installed by a car dealer before he bought it.

Bingo!!
Had Bridgstones on it originally.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: edyvw
smirk.gif

On the contrary...The Camry NEEDS more tire than comes with it...especially given how much room there is for improvement, bigger and tackier make the Camry a much better handling car...

It NEEDS something, LOL.
Its the wifes car so I had better decide right.
Looked at Cooper again. Have not looked at Dunlop yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back