I want a new phone but the cost has me thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw an "Am I out of touch" thread about another topic and I think I might fall into that category when it comes to cell phones and the cost of them, so please feel free let me know if I am out of touch.

I've had my current phone for two years and despite my conspiracy theory about phones being built to only last for two years, this particular phone has proven me wrong and it still works despite all of the bumps and bruises it has taken over the past two years.

However, I'd like to move on to a newer model phone and I've identified the phone I want, but the $600+ cost for the new phone I have in mind is not something I think is logical for one to pay for an item that will in theory last two years or less.

As far as getting a phone through my provider with a 2 year contract, they don't carry the model I want and with the other phones they offer, I don't see anything that really sticks out to be honest; not to mention I hate contracts and phones loaded with a bunch of stuff I don't need, so the idea of buying a new unlocked phone sounds rather appealing.

I know it ultimately comes down to how bad I want it, but is there anyone on here that has ever paid $600+ for a phone? Was the satisfaction of having what you wanted worth the cost? I want a new phone, but I'm not sure if I want it bad enough to part with $600.

Feel free to call me cheap and out of touch (that won't offend me), but how do others feel about phones that have such a price tag attached to them?

I purposely didn't list the make/model of the phone because at the end of the day (within proper context) a phone is a phone (to me) and I don't want this thread to turn into a "you're an idiot for not wanting the phone that I like" sort of thread.

I guess my question is am I out of touch when I cringe whenever I see a $600 price tag on a phone is my question.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie

I guess my question is am I out of touch when I cringe whenever I see a $600 price tag on a phone is my question.

Nope. But then, I use a $50 Tracfone, so...

What phone do you want that a carrier doesn't have?

According to RootMetrics, AT&T has the slight edge in your area, followed by Verizon.

There are full priced non carrier 0% financing options
*cough Nexus 6* that you could bring to any carrier or there MVNO for slightly better pricing.

What are you coming off of? Or are you new to the whole smartphone world?

A smart phone is basically an ultra portable computer. I don't even pay $600 for my laptops, I don't need to.

I can see real estate agents, salespeople, etc., reallyh getting their money's worth out of a ohone like that but I have done ok with more modest phones. The technology trickles down and the prices come down with time for those features and I don't have a pressing need so I can wait.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Is it bad I want to go back to a flip phone?

Darn near everything is touch screen.....

I could text complete arguments really fast without ever looking on the phone while driving, I miss flip phones, I wish I could pair my smart phone with a flip phone keyboard to text while driving, will take out me having to call or wait till I'm done driving to txt.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Or are you new to the whole smartphone world?

No, I'm not new to the smartphone world. Was just looking to upgrade from my existing smartphone.

I just had a flip phone last year... then I "upgraded" to a $10 Tracfone that is touch screen. (not a smart phone)

I don't like touch screens, but the funny thing is on a phone it doesn't bother me. I do like that I can type a text faster, and see my pictures better though. But yea, flip phones are nice.

Don't take this wrong way, but...

Spending $600 on a phone is ridiculous. I have friends that purchased the new iPhone and well... It's a nice "toy" and the newness wears off as the months go by.

Me? I recently needed to replace my 6-year old Android phone with a reliable and easy-to-use smart phone.

My boss showed me his Windows phone and I was immediate impressed by its simplicity and functions. Best part of all?

Free!!! Went with Cricket and they had (Still have I believe) rebate attached. I'm 100% satisfied and have zero complaints.

Your other option is to get last year's model. Typically you can get them for $200-$300, so basically on your $600 phone, you have $300-$400 depreciation in just one year. and they are good for at least 3-4 years. Same thing as buying a new car. It's why lots more people buy used cars than new ones. Not that common with phones that's all. Or you can wait a year and the phone you're looking at will be down to $200-$300 used/refurbished.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Don't take this wrong way, but...

Spending $600 on a phone is ridiculous.

No offense taken. This purpose of this thread is more so a temperature check to ensure my sanity is still in check.

Historically, I am a "free with 2 year contract" kinda guy, but the brand I'm using now has proven to be durable and I want to stick with that brand, but my carrier doesn't carry that brand anymore.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Your other option is to get last year's model. Typically you can get them for $200-$300, so basically on your $600 phone, you have $300-$400 depreciation in just one year. and they are good for at least 3-4 years. Same thing as buying a new car. It's why lots more people buy used cars than new ones. Not that common with phones that's all. Or you can wait a year and the phone you're looking at will be down to $200-$300 used/refurbished.

Upon reading this and giving it further thought, I think I'm going to just wait a year since my phone still works and see if the value depreciates on the one I have my eyes and pick up a new one at that point.

I will be going back to my old Nokia non smart phone in April. I have an iphone 5s and would buy another but the 6 is way too big and everything else is as big or even bigger.
I don't need it or want it. The only thing the smart phone is doing for me is costing more money and being a PITA to lug around.

Paying for convenience is one thing but more money for inconvenience? Frig that noise. AT&T is seeing a $160 a month 10 year customer walk because they insist on carrying huge phones.
In Germany i have Aldi talk. $15 a month with unlimited talk (all nets) unlimited SMS/MMS and 2 gig data. I just refill the card on line at the end of the month. no other cost or contract.

I paid 70 dollars for a refurb iphone 4 from verizon.

I flashed it to page plus network, and pay 39 dollars per month, using verizon towers.

They are a pretty good prepaid deal if you need verizon towers, which I do.

You don't need a 600 dollar phone, you can get a nokia windows phone on ATT prepaid for like 40 dollars. They work fine.

Where are you buying your phone from, are you getting it directly from a store? You can usually check ebay and pick up recent model phones for about $400 (new in box). An iPhone is the exception though, it always costs more than Android based phones.

I've done this several times, and as long as you buy from a reliable seller who regularly sells phones, you shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure it's new in a box, and you should be good.

I recently paid $650-$200 (trade in for iPhone4) and very content.

I have no upgrade path on Verizon due to unlimited data plan.

I looked and I use 5GB of data month since I use video streaming constantly as a telecommuter on the LTE network. The LTE is faster/better coverage then my in home wifi network from Xfinity. I get hints from them to use my wifi occasionally
smile.gif
!

Originally Posted By: JGmazda

My boss showed me his Windows phone and I was immediate impressed by its simplicity and functions. Best part of all?

Free!!! Went with Cricket and they had (Still have I believe) rebate attached. I'm 100% satisfied and have zero complaints.

Why are you keeping the brand name and model a secret from us?

Will you get $600 worth of service from it? Buy it because you need it, not because the technology is available, or from peer pressure. I think you made a mature decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back