Buying a new bike..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been in the market for a new bike. After scoping out several "deals" on new bikes from the previous model year that never sold (2013-14), I found several 500-650cc sport bikes that are listed at around $4300-5100. One in particular, which was $4300, was then jacked up to $5800 by the salesman! I couldn't help but laugh. He said they do not haggle at all. Is this really the way new bikes are sold now-a-days? I just walked out after that.. The extra $1500 was for tags, title, tax, and storage..

Step one is that you need to find a motorcycle dealer who likes SELLING their inventory, instead of keeping it. A dealer with a bunch of "carry-over" inventory may have issues (unless they're buying it from other dealers who couldn't sell it).

When I bought my first motorcycle, I was a cash buyer, I had a license, and I knew which model I wanted. I wasn't a tire kicker, I was a buyer.

After walking in and out of the local dealer (it only took the salesman about 90 seconds to make an [censored] of himself to me), I went to the next town over, and bought the bike I wanted, on the spot, at a fair price.

The dealer in the next town over has been the recipient of my business for nearly 20 years now.

Anyone that buys a car or bike or anything else at the listed price or in some cases people pay thousands more because it is a super hot item should contact my friend Louie because louie has a bridge for sale at a price you can afford.

Go to the forums for the bike you're interested in. You'll get a lead on a good prices. That's how I saved $4k on a year old leftover new bike and got it shipped to me 500 miles for $225.

Check out cycletrader.com and see what dealers are pushing that bike and if they have a deal. Email them and ask for an out the door quote. That's how I found a hard to find new KTM Super Duke last summer 400 miles from here. Totally worth the trip to get it.

This is just me, but I refuse to pay [censored] dealer prep or freight charges. Won't do it. I've seen dealers have the gall to ask close to $3k in prep and freight. They clearly don't want my business.

There are a few shops around who seem to specialize in leftover bikes. You can find some amazing deals that way. I found deals like that at Honda East in Toledo, OH and the Yamaha-Honda shop in Bemidji, MN. I'm sure there are dozens more around the country.

Originally Posted By: xr650boy
Go to the forums for the bike you're interested in. You'll get a lead on a good prices. That's how I saved $4k on a year old leftover new bike and got it shipped to me 500 miles for $225.

Check out cycletrader.com and see what dealers are pushing that bike and if they have a deal. Email them and ask for an out the door quote. That's how I found a hard to find new KTM Super Duke last summer 400 miles from here. Totally worth the trip to get it.

This is just me, but I refuse to pay [censored] dealer prep or freight charges. Won't do it. I've seen dealers have the gall to ask close to $3k in prep and freight. They clearly don't want my business.

Super Duke! Cool stuff, right there...

John.

My current bike was bought nearly 100 miles from where I live. The dealers in my area are not the greatest; to put it mildly.

I stopped shopping the bike shops here in Atlanta. They've all been bought out by some conglomerate and are nothing but thieves.

I mail-order all of my parts and I usually travel up to West Virginia to make my new vehicle purchases. I'm tired of being lied to and considered a fool by these places. They can keep their dusty inventory. My money spends everywhere.

When I was trying to buy my Triumph, the dealer closest to me was a total jerk Seemed like I was bothering them by trying to buy a bike. So I went to a small town dealer that was three hours away. Not only did they sell it 500 bucks cheaper, they bought me lunch, gave me two free t shirts, free sunglasses and a calender.

If your dealer is jerking you around....walk away.

Last edited:
That's right-sometimes you have to travel a bit to get a good deal. I bought a couple carryover scooters-one a '75 bought in '76 and another '81 bought in '83. Both way cheap as overproduction was going on. Do your research and good luck.

I just bought a leftover '13 Yamaha WR450F. I tried to buy from the dealer I've purchased my previous 3 bikes from, but he didn't want to deal. His best offer was for a floor model '12.

He wanted $1000 more than what I paid for a crated '13.

You can't negotiate tax or title fee. You can negotiate any charge to do your paperwork, the "documentation fee." You can negotiate set up, probably not freight, but give it a try. Storage...that's a laugh. The dealer has been paying "flooring," actually interest on the value of the bike, and now he wants you to pay him back for that. No way.

When I bought two new bikes('04) I drove 350 miles one way to save a little over $1700 off the total price of both bikes. On my way home I stopped at the hometown dealer, the same one who told me that he paid more for the two bikes than I paid at the other dealer and showed the sales person the bikes in the back of my truck. I bought two oil filters and told around 5 guys their looking on the showroom floor where and how much I paid for my bikes. They left to call the out of town dealer.

ROD

There is no reason to tolerate a dealer that wants to play games. Walk away. There are still some good dealers out there that will earn your business.

Lawman, I don't know where you're from, but the best dealer in the country is Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, WV. Located on Route 522 just south of town. Worth the drive. When you call, you talk to the owner. Pretty much all bike mfgs have minimum advertised prices, so you have to talk over the phone or in person to get the best price.

WV is about 3-4 hours out. I would drive that far but I would have to be saving 500+ to make it worth my time and driving the van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back