cant put ait into tires, bad or stuck valve steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found 4 set of old stock rims for my mustang, it had 4 brand new NOS good year gator back tires on it, the owner storage this set for 25 years, its in great shape, it look good, no crack or tear any where, only problem is 2 tires I cant put air in, 2 other I can put air and it hold air fine.

Air not going in the tires. I feel the little core inside the valve steam is stuck or something.

Last edited:
Remove the valve stem core and then try it again replace if needed.
But there is no way I d drive around on 25 year old rubber you re looking for trouble There just too old to be trusted.

Sounds like a corroded core. I would replace the valve stem. 25 year old tires sounds dangerous to drive on. Get you some new tires to be safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1034
But there is no way I d drive around on 25 year old rubber you re looking for trouble There just too old to be trusted.

thank you for suggest, its just use for car show only, the car most will get tow to a car show. Trailer queen they say
smile.gif

it wont be driving, just out the garage into trailer, and go to car show, off the trailer, into grass, that it. I have another set of aftermarket with brand new tires for the mustang. This old tires just for show. NOT USE FOR DRIVING.

Thank you for every one suggest, have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
I wonder if the tire stems are rubber and collapsed.

I also wonder if demounting the tires to replace the filler would harm the old rubber.

Id try to remove the core and see whats going on in there...

Get a small screwdriver and center the valve stem core in the middle (to add air).

For the long-term, it's best to replace the entire valve stem. IF you have free rotations for the life of the tires, the tire shop is likely to replace the valve stem for no charge.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: 1034

thank you for suggest, its just use for car show only, the car most will get tow to a car show. Trailer queen they say
smile.gif

Even tires that aren't used can fail. I've had many old spares decontaminate in the trunk.

Please change out those old tires. It would be a shame to have to repair the car due to fender damage due to a failed tire.

If you can't figure out how to remove the schrader valve then take the tires to a tire shop and have them install new valve stems.

That assumes that a tire shop will even remount tires that old. I'm surprised that you can afford a "trailer queen" vehicle, then refuse to invest in decent tires.

quick update: I take to a well know tires shop this early morning, because I know they will busy all day " Upton Tire Pros " , I know the owner 15 years, I talk to him about the tires age, and issue about the cant put air in , and what I am plan on doing with it.

He take a look at it and complete check all over. and he amazed how new and great condition of it. He say these are rare, they dont make these any more. where you get these ? you want to sell it ? I told him the preview owner is a car collector, he keep it in a garage with temp control, with a bag for each of the tire and he use meguiars tire clean and condition once in a while, he want save it for his mustang.

anyway he let his worker balance and put all new valve steam on all 4, air up , he say i be perfectly fine with what Im doing.

Now my mustang is all matching # everything original down to the correct rims and tires, it will be great to enter a car show contest ^^ . Have good day every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back