KLR 650

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPP

Hey All

Been riding bikes my whole life. Yamaha 500 Enduro in high school and college. (That dates me)
Harleys and Beemers after that. Slowing life down and doing a 180. Getting back to exploring the back roads. So..... just got my 2015 KLR 650.
Any shares and advise from my fellow BITOG's on this bike will be welcome!
thumbsup2.gif

JP

It needs a sixth gear, but I love them. They're bulletproof. It's the perfect bike to have for when the zombies come.

With just regular maintenance, those things last forever.

Good bike. Only problem is they do not work well when you drop them in a creek and they go underwater. Other than that, ride it like it is stolen.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Good bike. Only problem is they do not work well when you drop them in a creek and they go underwater. Other than that, ride it like it is stolen.

laugh.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Maybe a countershaft sprocket with another tooth if they're a little too buzzy at speed. I've always liked those-for years.

Look into doing the doohicky. After that there are all sorts of farkles to apply, gearing and tires being some of the bigger two. Congrats on your new klr! My first bike was a klr 250 and last year i moved into the 650. Klr650.net has lotsa info

I had a KLR 600 a long time ago. It's one of only a few bikes I regret selling. Enjoy.

I owned a KLR-650 for more than a few years. Re-jetted carb, SuperTrapp, Doohickey mod. great bike. I also regeared mine a tad higher. The only thing I wore out were tires and a lot of them. My only advice would be to keep the front end down because wheelies were very addicting.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It needs a sixth gear, but I love them. They're bulletproof. It's the perfect bike to have for when the zombies come.

With just regular maintenance, those things last forever.
Bulletproof and reliable-yes. Not really the perfect Zombie bike though. They need a back-up starting method, to make me happy. I am not relying on a battery when a horde is coming. I have a little Yamaha DT 175, that's a good zombie bike, light, quick, easy to kick start and will run forever too. I left the KLR sit for 6 months and it was a bugger to get running, the Yamaha , over a year and 3rd kick. KLR is a Great bike, but its heavy and hard to work on, try getting the carb out.

If memory serves: Kawasaki has redesigned the doohickey, and it may not be an issue on the latest bikes. You'll need to follow up per the various forums.

I've always liked the KLR and had thought of getting one but chickened out after being away from bikes for 30 years.
I do remember that there was an oil usage issue with the 2008-09 version but I'm sure Kaw took care of it by now....

Originally Posted By: olddognewtrks
If memory serves: Kawasaki has redesigned the doohickey, and it may not be an issue on the latest bikes. You'll need to follow up per the various forums.

*** Yea. That's what I have heard talking to a few KLR folks. Everyone I talked to have ridden them and never had to replace that part. I am enjoying my 2015 KLR in green every chance I get with the ever changing Kansas weather LOL. Got two oil changes done so far. First one at 25 miles (sparkly for sure) and the second at 125 miles. Now just trying to figure out what I need. Center stand is first thing. Taller Cee Baileys screen next. Then figure out some affordable luggage options.

JP

The current doohickey has been redesigned and doesn't break like the old one, but the stock spring is too long and still needs to be replaced as it doesn't put any tension on the chain.
Replace the spring with an eagle mike spring at minimum or do both spring and doohickey.

Originally Posted By: williestreet
The current doohickey has been redesigned and doesn't break like the old one, but the stock spring is too long and still needs to be replaced as it doesn't put any tension on the chain.
Replace the spring with an eagle mike spring at minimum or do both spring and doohickey.

**** Okay. I will look into that for sure. Thanks!

JP

Congrats!

I'm a little late to the party but most of the advice has been spot on. Our KLR is nearing 25k and although that is not a whole lot of miles it has been perfectly reliable. My son uses it for his commute to school and work. He has laid it down twice but fortunately both son and bike survived relatively unscathed.

The KLR is a low tech, old school beater of a bike that will last a long time with minimal care.

Look up the check valve mod or the pcv mod. If you believe its proponents it lowers oil consumption by two means. it creates a physical orifice to block oil flow into the intake and it creates a vacuum in the crankcase to reduce foaming and aeration.it also creates power by increasing vacuum in the crankcase creating better ring sealing and reducing oil being thrown around. as for the long term it also reduces oil going through the intake tract and the amount of oil guming up valve assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back