2012 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My wife's Santa Fe makes a low thmp thmp thmp from the right front tire area. It only does it when you start out accelerating when car is cold, so after sitting overnight or after a few hours. After three quick thmps it goes away. I assumed it was tire cupping, so last weekend I had new tires put on. The old tires were ready to go anyway. The alignment in front was way off, so I had it aligned. I also had rotors turned and new pads installed. All was well until today and now it is doing it again.....sigh. Any ideas? Driving me crazy......

Last edited:
In colder weather, some tires may get a flat spot where they rest, a few revolutions and the tires round out. Typically nothing to worry about.
What were the old tires - brand and name and what are your new tires - brand and name?

Old tires were the OEM tires that came with the car. Kumho I think? They lasted 67,000 miles. I rotated every 7500 miles. New tires are Firestone affinity touring tires. Much much smoother and quieter ride. I had them done at a Firestone shop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Old tires were the OEM tires that came with the car. Kumho I think? They lasted 67,000 miles. I rotated every 7500 miles. New tires are Firestone affinity touring tires. Much much smoother and quieter ride. I had them done at a Firestone shop.

I had those Firestones on my civic. They weren't very good tires, but they never flat-spotted either in very cold weather or when the car sat garaged for a few months, so I doubt its that.
Try not to ever hit a pothole or a curb, those tires had the weakest sidewalls of any tire I've ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back