Oil Change "Specials"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol GTX is my go-to oil brand. Purolator Classics or WIX are my go-to oil filter if an OEM is not available. I usually wait around for oil change specials, buy a bunch, and throw them on the shelf in a cabinet in the garage for when I need them. This is a pain because the specials throw a random filter with a random brand of oil... I have to wait for the right combination.

Wife's Mazda MPV hit its OCI mileage and I went out to find my cupboard was bare.

Right now, Advance Auto has a 5 Quart jug of Castrol GTX and a Purolator Classic for $22.99
Right now, PepBoys has the same thing for $23.99 and you get a second for $21.99
Right now, CarQuest has the 5 Quart GTX with a basic CQ filter for $22.99
Right now, Napa has 5 Quarts of GTX and Napa Silver (Wix) filter for $21.99
AutoZone has Halvoline and a Fram orange. They're out.

Four outta five ain't half bad... But they're all the same price.

Wal*Mart has the oil for $16.97 with a Purolator filter for $3.27, regular price.
No waiting around for the right combination of oil and filter.

[censored], Amazon has GTX 5w-20 for $16.97 and a Purolator for $4.29 (Or a Motorcraft FL820S for $3.29) and I don't even have to put on clothes.
That makes the "specials" not so special...

Crude is at an all time low. I can't see anything that's driven up the cost of refining crude into lubrication oil...

What gives? What ever happened to the $16 oil change special?

Last edited:
Time has advanced about 10 years, what was is now yesterday, and today is after what used to happen. Not sure if it gets more complicated than that.

No, its just helping thier gotten line. Most motor oil manufacturers also own gas stations and refinery's that market as a whole has taken a big hit.

Yesterday gas went up here (granted it was Exxon) by $0.22 overnight. I filled up the Regal tho. Its kinda sad, if I'm not mistaken it's illegal for Gas stations to raise prices in-between refills. I'm under the impression they can only legally raise prices when they get a new shipment. That's never the case tho.

As far as motor oils I doubt you will see any discount. If we are lucky a few brands might include a $5 mail in rebate.

Originally Posted By: Pele

the same thing that happened to $2.00 milk

when fuel prices went up, milk (and everything else) went up (doubled) "because of the increase in transportation costs directly related to the price of oil"

now that fuel is back to what it was, milk is still $4.00

once they gotcha, they ain't lettin' go ... what are you going to do? not buy it?

Last edited:
My advice is to shop at Walmart. GTX is under $17 a jug IIRC. That gives you potentially $5-$6 for a filter. Buy several so you dont have to go as often.

Originally Posted By: meborder

when fuel prices went up, milk (and everything else) went up (doubled) "because of the increase in transportation costs directly related to the price of oil"

once they gotcha, they ain't lettin' go ... what are you going to do? not buy it?

Excellent point. If gas goes back to $3 withing this year I wouldn't be surprised if milk goes up again too.

On a global market the Dollar is doing well. It mostly has to do with the Chinese's cool down and the EU to start printing money but the dollar has went up 20% in recent months. That along with gas prices and 7 year lows everything should be going down in price. Never the case tho.

Pele

How about Menards $12 oil change special. $2per qt by the case of Shell oil and a Quakerstate oil filter(Purolater made) for $2.

and we keep hearing that there is no inflation...RIGHT....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre

and we keep hearing that there is no inflation...RIGHT....
Only because inflation doesn't factor in things like food & energy that people HAVE to buy! IBTL!

I hate those stupid oil change specials. Why can't they just put the individual quarts on sale? I,like you,prefer to use OEM filters.

Check for you filter on Rock auto and use a coupon code.
Or buy some in bulk from Advance and use some of the codes from the website here.
Many codes in the section on product sales etc
Good luck hunting.

I have two cards from Sears for a $14.99 oil and filter change or $15 off a synthetic oil change. For $15, I'll take my '97 Honda wagon and my '99 Ford pickup and let them change it. My Jeep and S2000 I'll do myself.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back