Why The Sudden Switch To Fram Ultra Are They Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636

CONFIDENTIAL

(leaked from Framclub headquarters)

[font:Arial Black]Want to join our ranks?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Did you read anything I said?

He's blinded by a brand name ... ie, a "Puroboy". He needs to read my signature.
grin.gif

I read what you said, I was just trying to help! I personally can't join the club (not because I'm a "puroboy") but because I suffer from papyrophobia. The fear of cardboard
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Skanky
Needed and XG5, Autozone said we stopped selling Fram no one wanted them, Orielly said we only carry a few of the PH and we hardly ever sell any. WM said we carry them but we sell more of the others so we have limited the models. So I guess Ill be ordering mine from Amazon.
Got any AAPs around? That's where I usually get them, if you buy a bunch you can even get them shipped for free.

I read what you said, I was just trying to help! I personally can't join the club (not because I'm a "puroboy") but because I suffer from papyrophobia. The fear of cardboard
crackmeup2.gif

This is awfully scary after 5,000 miles:
20141102_144847_zpsf5b95c7a.jpg

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
crackmeup2.gif

wink.gif

Pretty!

I have NO problem with the basic fram design if the pleats are plenty, even and look like the filter above! In fact I trust the seal against the ADBV and leaf spring/bypass when compared to metal on metal, which is why the Ultra has a rubber/fiber ring to seal against for the leaf spring.

wink.gif

Is this Fram Extra Guard ? Doesn't look like Extra Guard with much more media and straight pleats.

That was an older Fram Tough Guard that I used on the Integra a few years back. They eventually removed the little metal strainer on the newer Tough Guards.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

wink.gif

Is this Fram Extra Guard ? Doesn't look like Extra Guard with much more media and straight pleats.

That is why i don't use Fram Garbage PERIOD. I don't like the fact of cardboard end caps.

Do they make them with cardboard end caps to save manufacturing costs? I have always wondered that. It is kinda like the AC delco e-core design. The Nylon cage inside the filter. I don't like that either but i still can buy the regular ACDelcos and IMO they are a very good filter.

I don't think fram has ever officially came out and said why they use cardboard, so it is most likely to save on cost. If it was because of superior performance, then more manufacturers would be following suit and frams top of the line filter wouldn't have those metal end caps. They are just trying to cut their bottom line. Nothing wrong with that, but as a consumer I choose not to utilize these filters.

I don't think fram has ever officially came out and said why they use cardboard, so it is most likely to save on cost. If it was because of superior performance, then more manufacturers would be following suit and frams top of the line filter wouldn't have those metal end caps. They are just trying to cut their bottom line. Nothing wrong with that, but as a consumer I choose not to utilize these filters.

This is where the OCOD came from, 5K is almost nothing
15.gif

Last edited:
Wow - these things are like less than $9 (for my 05 Corolla) at Walmart. I am currently using the regular Wix filter. Is the Fram Ultra a better filter? I am paying as much for the Wix anyway...

Originally Posted By: HK45
Wow - these things are like less than $9 (for my 05 Corolla) at Walmart. I am currently using the regular Wix filter. Is the Fram Ultra a better filter? I am paying as much for the Wix anyway...

They better be, they use synthetic media.

I haven't seen any media/filter failure in the forum yet from the ultras.

Maybe too many framboyz!?
21.gif

This is a few years old but relevant to the Fram haters. It includes an explanation of the cardboard end caps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating...n-ohio-1261517/

I don't use their Orange cans, they are garbage. I figured that out when I was 17 and my Honda would rattle at start up due to non-functional ADBV. But their Tough Guard filters are pretty good for a standard OCI (despite the cardboard end caps) and the Ultraguards are SOLID complete with steel mesh supported media and METAL end caps.

I picked up 4 filters for my Eco-Boost for $30 on Ebay, all the boxes were sealed. That's less than Wallyworld sells them for.

crackmeup2.gif

You do know that the Ultra has metal end caps, right?

Originally Posted By: LX289

That is why i don't use Fram Garbage PERIOD. I don't like the fact of cardboard end caps.

Those end caps look nice and flat, and it's true that the glue job between the pleats and the non-metal end caps on Frams is very strong. If end caps stay flat and seal well, then that's all you can expect from them.

The end caps on the TG seem to stay flatter than the ones on the EG, but not sure if they are actually different in design or material. Maybe the TG having more and tighter pleats helps keep the end caps flatter (?).

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
This is a few years old but relevant to the Fram haters. It includes an explanation of the cardboard end caps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eating...n-ohio-1261517/

I don't use their Orange cans, they are garbage. I figured that out when I was 17 and my Honda would rattle at start up due to non-functional ADBV. But their Tough Guard filters are pretty good for a standard OCI (despite the cardboard end caps) and the Ultraguards are SOLID complete with steel mesh supported media and METAL end caps.

I picked up 4 filters for my Eco-Boost for $30 on Ebay, all the boxes were sealed. That's less than Wallyworld sells them for.

OCOD is the one with cardboard end caps.

Ultras are all metal

Originally Posted By: LX289

Not directed at you and I freely admit that I do not use the FRAM ExtraGuard, but as a general note, there are plenty of OEMs that use NOTHING as end caps (only glue); why are those filters not beat up on like the EG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back