valvoline 5w40 compaird to Rotella T6 and Delvac 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Ford 6.7 But what I'm woundering is I don't see much hear about Moble Delvac 5/40 or Valvoline 5/40 premium blue. Delvac is not around mych that I have seen in So Cal. But both Rotella and Valvoline are theo how do these 3 compare in you guys opinions?

I don't understand the info as to why I'm asking on people that understand it to help. But the exact oil's I was asking about is the Delvac 5/40 Valvoline 5/40 and Rotella T6 5/40

There's almost no difference between them. They all have about the same amounts and types of additives. The only real difference would be the base oils.

I know this wasn't one of your choices, but let me throw Chevron Delo 5w40 on the fire. It's less expensive than any of your three choices and I prefer it to Delvac and T6, both of which I had used previously. My criteria for this assessment? Both engines I switched from T6/Delvac to Delo both suddenly became butter smooth and whisper quiet. Nothing else changed.

Last edited:
Ok thank you and yes that helps I has just had someone that owns a lab on one of the forms for the trucks say that he had seen the Delvac and Valvoline come back batter so I was asking hear. What I thought shows to be correct theo as they are all very close. Ill try the Delo on my next change as I have T6 in it at this time.

I own a 6.7 also, unless you're towing heavy this engine specs 10w-30. I plan to run 10w-30 exclusively.

They are all great oils. Rotella seems to be the crowd favorite. I'm currently running 10w30 Delo 400 in my Regal without a problem its running nice and smooth, maybe a little bit quieter then with the Synthetic Maxlife I had in it.

Or in any of the extreme driving conditions not just towing. Ill be running full syn 5/40 for sure as that is what Ford says to use in this case.

Originally Posted By: treada
I don't understand the info as to why I'm asking on people that understand it to help. But the exact oil's I was asking about is the Delvac 5/40 Valvoline 5/40 and Rotella T6 5/40

I would recommend the least expensive of the 3 since they are all good.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I would recommend the least expensive of the 3 since they are all good.

Last edited:
I have a 2014 Ford 6.7 But what I'm woundering is I don't see much hear about Moble Delvac 5/40 or Valvoline 5/40 premium blue. Delvac is not around mych that I have seen in So Cal. But both Rotella and Valvoline are theo how do these 3 compare in you guys opinions?

Delvac 1 is going to be probably the best of the 3, as it's still, iirc Group IV basestock, vs Group III on the Valvoline and Shell.

Chevron Delo 400 LE 5w40 is also a good choice, and usually less expensive than Shell at my area Wal-Marts.

An alternative to Delvac 1 is Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck and should also be found at Wal-Mart.

I believe Delvac 1 has the better base oils over the other oils, but, I wonder how their anti-wear additives compare?

This comes from Mobil's FAQ,

https://mobildelvac.com/en/faq/product-faqs/productfaqs

"While most 15W-40 viscosity grades will satisfy the cold-weather startup temperature requirements in the United States, engine oil specifications should be referenced to ensure that properties such as pour point, cold cranking viscosity and cold-temperature pumping viscosity meet an engine's coldest operating temperature requirements.
Premium engine oils such as Mobil Delvac 1™ LE 5W-30 and 15W-40 are formulated to provide increased cold-weather startup protection at temperatures as low as -15 F°. Additional options that fleets or owner/operators should consider are using a semisynthetic like our Mobil Delvac™ Elite,or our full synthetic Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP, which is formulated to deliver exceptional protection even in severe cold weather conditions.

Engines will experience the highest wear during cold startup, as lubrication to bearings and the upper-engine hardware is limited during startup and initial warm-up. The engine oil's viscosity at starting temperature is an important factor in determining whether or not an engine will start.

Using too heavy a viscosity during cold temperatures can result in inadequate lubrication during startup.

If the chosen lubricant has a viscosity that is too high, the oil filter bypass valve – assuming the truck has one – will open and allow unfiltered oil to bypass the oil filter (the bypass valve maintains the lubricating oil flow to the engine and prevents an oil filter collapse). The bypass valve will close as the engine oil warms up and thins out. It is equally important to adequately warm up an engine before loading it. The best practice is to idle for a short period and warm up the engine by operating at a low rpm and load condition."

Chevron Delo says on their datasheets, "Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40’s unique blend of extreme pressure antiwear additive protects against valve train wear and scuffing of highly loaded parts operating under boundary lubrication."

"Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-40’s antiwear technologies protect against valve train wear and scuffing of highly loaded parts operating under boundary lubrication."

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSP...habetSelected=D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: njohnson
I believe Delvac 1 has the better base oils over the other oils, but, I wonder how their anti-wear additives compare?

Take a look at the builder approvals and ACEA specs. I doubt that Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 would be a poorer choice than the Delo competition. They both have similar approvals and similar characteristics, and have much the same target market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back