Amsoil SS 0w-40 now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like an oil targeted at Mopar 6.1, 6.4 SRT engines, lists all the Mopar SRT product line.

If your a Prefered Customer or dealer, will be a cheaper alterantive to the Penzoil 0w-40 for SRt which is 10$ a qt plus shipping vs 7.73 for this plus shipping.

API SN, SM...
Chrysler MS-12633, MS-10725, MS-10850
Nissan GT-R®
Applications include, but are not limited to, the following:

Dodge Charger 6.1L/6.4L
Dodge Challenger 6.1L/6.4L
Dodge Viper 8.3L/8.4L
Dodge Ram 2500/3500/4400/5500 6.4 L
Chrysler 300 6.1L/6.4L
Jeep SRT Grand Cherokee 6.1L/6.4L
Nissan GT-R 3.8L

Exactly. M1 0W-40 has been tested and shown to meet LL-01. The only religion involved is requiring faith that the Amsoil meets or exceeds it as well.

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
I tried SS oils about 6 years ago for the first time, used them all except 10W-30 in all my cars many times, ran many UOAs and happy today - best way to believe that they deliver what they promise is to test - it is not a religion ;-)

Shannow 4 Ball™ 20w30 with Super-Smart Molecules™ that transform to your engine spec automagically™ as you pour it in your engine. Trust Me™.

It depends on what you want or need to invest: mass market product made of cheaper ingredients in a limited amount of but wrapped in expensive certificates / approvals or a top shelf robust fluid based on proven formula at similar price.

By the way I do not like what they did with the 5W-40 AFL EU spec quality having invested in expensive manufacturer approvals but I understand why and for whom. This is just not the direction that I personally expect from Amsoil.

You think M1 0w-40, which is now again 50-60% PAO, leverages tri-nuclear moly, AN's and whatever the heck else Mobil chooses to dump in there, as well as carrying a plethora of OEM approvals GUARANTEEING its performance is a "cheaper" product? A less expensive product, certainly, but nobody on this board can prove it is cheaper. In fact, given the amount of money Mobil has invested in it, it is nothing short of a bloody bargain.

And getting away from the gimmicky tests like the 4-ball wear test and actually GETTING the OEM approvals like AMSOIL has now started to do is the BEST possible thing they could be doing. It PROVES the performance of their product in industry standard testing.

I'm one of the dealers that told AMSOIL they needed a 0w-40 to compete with Mobil 1 0w-40 and that they needed industry recognized approvals. They are obviously listening to us and the AFL Euro lube is proof of that. Manufacturer certifications and approvals are only becoming more common and the consumer is finally becoming aware of them. If you want to sell oil for those applications/to those people, you need to play the game the same way as everybody else is. There is nothing wrong with making a top-of-the-line product AND running it through all of the OEM testing regiments.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It depends on what you want or need to invest: mass market product made of cheaper ingredients in a limited amount of but wrapped in expensive certificates / approvals or a top shelf robust fluid based on proven formula at similar price.

By the way I do not like what they did with the 5W-40 AFL EU spec quality having invested in expensive manufacturer approvals but I understand why and for whom. This is just not the direction that I personally expect from Amsoil.

You think M1 0w-40, which is now again 50-60% PAO, leverages tri-nuclear moly, AN's and whatever the heck else Mobil chooses to dump in there, as well as carrying a plethora of OEM approvals GUARANTEEING its performance is a "cheaper" product? A less expensive product, certainly, but nobody on this board can prove it is cheaper. In fact, given the amount of money Mobil has invested in it, it is nothing short of a bloody bargain.

And getting away from the gimmicky tests like the 4-ball wear test and actually GETTING the OEM approvals like AMSOIL has now started to do is the BEST possible thing they could be doing. It PROVES the performance of their product in industry standard testing.

I'm one of the dealers that told AMSOIL they needed a 0w-40 to compete with Mobil 1 0w-40 and that they needed industry recognized approvals. They are obviously listening to us and the AFL Euro lube is proof of that. Manufacturer certifications and approvals are only becoming more common and the consumer is finally becoming aware of them. If you want to sell oil for those applications/to those people, you need to play the game the same way as everybody else is. There is nothing wrong with making a top-of-the-line product AND running it through all of the OEM testing regiments.

There was a time I was one of the Amsoil faithful. Paying more for what I thought was the best product I could buy.
I didn't care about formal approvals nor that I was paying significantly higher prices per miles driven.
Then I came here
Now I still like and use Amsoil that I've got on stash and I will never trash their products however I feel that formal approvals are very important and the fact that the off the shelf oils I now use cost less than Amsoil and are guaranteed because of these formal approvals.
Now I have no new vehicles and these formal approvals really don't apply to anything I own however the fact that they carry that cert is far more important as a guarantee than a guarantee from Amsoil which I would love to see someone try and access if there was an oil related problem.
Just sayin.

And Amsoil did a great job in my old Chev and I loved it in my harley. I don't have any issues with the oil itself. Just the price,and the fact I can buy a less costly product that has done their due diligence and gotten oem certified.

Last edited:
Does Mobil 1 0w-40 have the official chrysler approval?
MS 12633? webpage doesnt indicate that

This oil Amsoil 0w-40 is targeted for SRT products, go look at the amsoil webpage.

And as in most cases Amsoil says recommended for vehichles requiring MS 12633, not approved.

Guess one would have to decide if they want to use it or not, much the same as using Mobil 1 0w-40 which does not have the MS12633 approval, yet many with SRTs over on the Challenger forums run the Mobil 1 0w-40 because they cant even find the Penzoil 0w-40 except at the dealer at stupid pricing or amazon.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

XOM used to have oils carrying Chrysler specs, up until Fiat bought Chrysler, at which point XOM removed all references to Chrysler specs from their products.

Fiat has an existing relationship with SOPUS.

Corporate politics.

No. It was the original SRT oil, and was actually the oil put on the oil caps for the earlier SRT vehicles. When the FIAT/Chrysler alliance happened, Mobil lost their contract with Chrysler and there is believed to be a bit of animosity as Mobil has NONE of the Chrysler approvals on their products at this point.

The Mobil product has retained all the same approvals it had when it was the officially sanctioned fill for the SRT vehicles. This is more political than anything.

No. It was the original SRT oil, and was actually the oil put on the oil caps for the earlier SRT vehicles. When the FIAT/Chrysler alliance happened, Mobil lost their contract with Chrysler and there is believed to be a bit of animosity as Mobil has NONE of the Chrysler approvals on their products at this point.

The Mobil product has retained all the same approvals it had when it was the officially sanctioned fill for the SRT vehicles. This is more political than anything.

I thought chry/co got mad when mobil wouldn't extend them credit when they were broke thus Chrysler trying to get even by making mobil a black sheep

Politics eh

Guess one would have to decide if they want to use it or not, much the same as using Mobil 1 0w-40 which does not have the MS12633 approval, yet many with SRTs over on the Challenger forums run the Mobil 1 0w-40 because they cant even find the Penzoil 0w-40 except at the dealer at stupid pricing or amazon.

Its even worse for new Jaguar owners. Jaguar has an exclusive deal with Castrol for a "magic formula" oil, which if you don't use it, they could deny you the engine warranty. That oil is only available in $180 oil changes at Jag dealerships, or on Ebay. At least there is the ebay option I guess!

Does anybody know if Chrysler says the SRT engine warranty is INvalidated if the magical MS12633 Pennzoil 0w-40 isn't used? This is crazy.
What if somebody wanted to use this new Amsoil 0w-40, or Castrol 0w-40, M1 ?

Last edited:
Approving meens freezing the current specification (including base oils) and their Signature Series (SS) oils are being 'fine tuned' quite frequently - it is their big adventage.
Even when they are blending more and more mineral base stock like 10-30% in the new 0W-40 or 30-60% in 0W-20 - 10W-30 SS range (no info how much the new 5W-50 contains), the oils are still top shelf ones and unique.
For API or EU spec approved you can choose from OE, XL or EU lines much worse than SS obviously.

interesting explanation. I was scratching my head recently why the amsoil signature series have those mineral oil and hydrocracked oil in their MSDS.
where did you get the inside info on amsoil?

yes, and thus i was never interested in amsoil.
but as my wife started a new job and started commuting 30,000 a year, I'm thinking doing the amsoil 25,000 mile thing.

can your mobil 1 do it too?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

It should be able to.

The specs that it meets are Euro long life specs (MB 229.5, BMW LL-01). Engines that call for such specs in Europe are on variable OCI schedules, sometimes in excess of 30K km.

Granted, this isn't a blanket statement. It all depends on specific operating conditions, which the OLM takes into account.

yes, and thus i was never interested in amsoil.
but as my wife started a new job and started commuting 30,000 a year, I'm thinking doing the amsoil 25,000 mile thing.

As most know I'm far from being an m1 fan however lately I've opened my usually closed mind to options.

My guess is that the EP line could come very close to the Amsoil 25000 miles,and to be honest I question Amsoil's ability to go that far. The only used oil analysis I saw that wasn't spent long earlier than that 25000 mile assurance is their diesel oil. No used oil analysis I've seen using the SSO line looked capable of 25000 miles.

Quote:
As most know I'm far from being an m1 fan however lately I've opened my usually closed mind to options.

My guess is that the EP line could come very close to the Amsoil 25000 miles,and to be honest I question Amsoil's ability to go that far. The only used oil analysis I saw that wasn't spent long earlier than that 25000 mile assurance is their diesel oil. No used oil analysis I've seen using the SSO line looked capable of 25000 miles.

Some engines under some circumstances apparently can. Granted, this 0w-20 was probably in there too long. (Oxidative thickening. I would have liked to see a UOA at 25000.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...UOA#Post3363390

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It should be able to.

The specs that it meets are Euro long life specs (MB 229.5, BMW LL-01). Engines that call for such specs in Europe are on variable OCI schedules, sometimes in excess of 30K km.

Granted, this isn't a blanket statement. It all depends on specific operating conditions, which the OLM takes into account.

When M1 hit Oz shelves (15W40 variety), it was advertised as offering "40,000km protection"..."we took a Commodore, and drove it from Sydney to Perth, to Sydney, to Perth etc...Field advisor for Wynns, in the early 90s was doing a perpetual OCI in his Commodore, topping up adds (with wynns) as he went.

Later, I approached Mobil on my Toyota 4Runner and M1 0W40. After getting through warranty discussions, they stated that it was good for a year, whatever the mileage, 5,000km, or 25,000km.

I'm confident it would pull the gig off...there's nothing special about Amsoil on that gig either, nothing remarkable in their make-up, just playing the odds that the number of people who do it is few, and the number of failures is fewer (thus their lists of engines that you CANT do it in).

Quote:
I'm confident it would pull the gig off...there's nothing special about Amsoil on that gig either, nothing remarkable in their make-up, just playing the odds that the number of people who do it is few, and the number of failures is fewer (thus their lists of engines that you CANT do it in).

Agreed, and there are many, mine included. Thus the "UP TO" qualifier. I would estimate (based on UOA's) my Hyundai 2.4L DI would kill SS by 11-12,000 miles. But the question is...what is this engine doing to oils with an add pack not even close to SS?

I run it 7500 miles in warranty. UOA results are good. Avg wear, no oxidation, in grade, TBN of 3.1..... I like the cushion. JMHO
At 17,500 miles annually I'm slighty ahead $ wise.

If Mobil 1 didn’t exist, I’d probably use Amsoil. It just so happens that Mobil has always taken synthetics very seriously and has always made one of the best overall performing oils you can buy, readily available. Both Amsoil and Mobil 1 make great, well rounded performing oils. I’m sure the Amsoil 0w40 SS is great, but it just isn’t worth it when you can easily get M1 0w40 which is arguably the best overall, most proven oil on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back