wix oil filter for 2000 corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use what that engine is designed to use Toyota knows more than most of us about engine design and i was in the engine rebuilding business all my life. Those are good engines i always use what the original engine builder recommends because they have millions or hours and dollars behind them. Of course like i always say if you know more than they do go for it.

Yes absolutely... I've done the same thing to my car.

It's the same exact specs except a bit longer. It will fit perfectly.

I will never go back to the smaller filters again

Lol I already do it, I have put on 30k with oversized oil filters.

Oversized filters for the 1zzfe require additional tightening is all, as they will leak without it

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Use what that engine is designed to use Toyota knows more than most of us about engine design and i was in the engine rebuilding business all my life. Those are good engines i always use what the original engine builder recommends because they have millions or hours and dollars behind them. Of course like i always say if you know more than they do go for it.

I used oversized oil filter(same diameter but about 1" longer) in 1994 LS400 for almost all its life without problems.

I would use factory recommendation. I'm by no means a petroleum engineer however I can only imagine a larger filter causing back pressure. That's not to say it will happen but still. My car normally runs 50-60 psi with a cheap-o filter. My recent updates to Fram Ultra has dropped that slightly. I can only imaging a larger filter would cause even further pressure lose.

If anyone knows if this is true or not please step in. Iv thought about going larger myself but this has kept me from it.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I would use factory recommendation. I'm by no means a petroleum engineer however I can only imagine a larger filter causing back pressure. That's not to say it will happen but still. My car normally runs 50-60 psi with a cheap-o filter. My recent updates to Fram Ultra has dropped that slightly. I can only imaging a larger filter would cause even further pressure lose.

If anyone knows if this is true or not please step in. Iv thought about going larger myself but this has kept me from it.

if the media's the same there would be less pressure loss as the oil has more paths to get from the outside of the can to the tube in the middle.

it's not like the filter is stuffed with steel wool and is a long tunnel with an outlet on the other end, and more size means more drag.

I've used the 3600 size filter on various saturns and neons that haven't blown up, it's the 4 inch long 3/4 x 16 version of what you're talking about, if not exactly what you're talking about.
wink.gif
If they have no other benefit there's more to grab onto at the next oil change.

Toyota back speced the PL 14477 for Camry 4 cyl engines several years ago. It replaces the smaller PL 14476. (Puro numbers) Do a cross, it tmight fit the Corolla engine as well. I can't see how having more paths to flow through will increase backpresssure, just the opposite. Different materials might ot might not.

Last edited:
There is no reason to have a bigger filter on that engine the bigger the filter the more chance it can be hit by things on the road. These engines last 300,000 and more on the filters designed for them by Toyota

There is no reason to have a bigger filter on that engine the bigger the filter the more chance it can be hit by things on the road. These engines last 300,000 and more on the filters designed for them by Toyota

I agree, but 300000 is an understatement, we got a 360k one that runs with more power the other corollas I have driven.

These engines will run as long as you're willing to maintain them, they don't care about mileage.

Been running oversized filters for 30 years, no problems...

More filter material, better oil flow, more oil in the sump (some is in the filter), etc...

So long as the base is the same, and the bypass pressure is the same, and it fits...

Got a Fram 3600 on my lawn tractor right now...
You should see how far that sticks out...
12 more ounces of oil in the sump...

I agree there is no reason for it as the engineers know best it is called to much time on my hands , worrying about things that don't need it and of course because it can be done. I have thought about myself and came to the conclusion it is silly.
TOTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back