Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I don't know about that. I like my 3 yr old ford just fine, but it sure seems like Chrysler is a hard charger.

I like the vibe I get from Ford; it seems obviously run by highly opinionated engineers---for better or for worse.

I certainly wouldn't call them consistent. The flex is fairly bizarre. As far as the tires go hankook tires don't bother me in the least. Ford had a decades long relationship with Firestone and Firestone had no problem whatsoever sticking Ford with defective tires.

Firestone did not stick ford with defective tires.

People bought truck based explorers then complained that the explorer rode hard. Instead of Ford saying "buy a unibody, coil sprung Grand Cherokee if you don't want a truck", Ford recommended deflating the tires to dangerous levels.

Then people would load their family in the Explorer, load it with luggage and hop on the highway with tires that were never set to anything higher than 26. Of course, they probably dropped down a bit and then you have a blowout.

NOT Firestone's fault. Yes, Firestone's tire didn't hold up as well as the Goodyear RT/S ... but the tires were deflated as directed by Ford.

IF the Firestones were run at the proper PSI for the load (fully loaded explorer), there would have been no issues.

there was indeed something wrong with the Firestone Wilderness line of tires, they weren't just recalled from the Explorer models, but they were recalled from rangers, f150's etc. but only in the wilderness lineup, and also in many different tire sizes.

yes ford goofed with the 26 psi spec, but it was a combination of the lower pressure plus the defect of the tire that caused them to seperate/blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back