Mobil 1 rocker arm photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I would hazard to guess the discolored part of the head operates at a much higher temperature than the remainder. For that reason alone, I would continue to use a synthetic oil in the engine. I do not believe that M1 would clean in such a differing method from one end of the head to the other.

I would hazard the same thing. If you have ever seen two identical engines (Ford Modular comes to mind), one with headers and the other with the stock exhaust manifold. The one with the stock manifold will have more varnish where the heat collects whereas the head that had headers will have a more even pattern of varnish / discoloration. I used varnish for lack of a better term. This is more evident with equal length headers. Aluminum head small block Chevys will have discoloration where the two center exhaust ports are siamesed.

When varnish appears in an engine that's had significant use of top tier synthetics, there's always an excuse... If the OP had said he used VWB for 50k miles, SOME bitogers would be in the streets scoffing at the irresponsibility. LOL.

The engine looks great OP. A little varnish isnt going to slow that motor any.

Yeah, for some reason this 3.3L V6 has a 3.5 qt capacity with the filter. What was Nissan thinking? I have another fill of Maxlife blend then it's back to M1 or PP or maybe PU. We'll never know what happens because with any luck I'll never take that cover off again!

BTW, just filled up with buck 99 gas today!!!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Yeah, for some reason this 3.3L V6 has a 3.5 qt capacity with the filter. What was Nissan thinking? I have another fill of Maxlife blend then it's back to M1 or PP or maybe PU. We'll never know what happens because with any luck I'll never take that cover off again!

BTW, just filled up with buck 99 gas today!!!
Are you in Phoenix? Look on www.gasbuddy.com for gas prices, the Arco I go to on 16th St. & Thomas has been $1.69 a gallon for a while now.

My wifes old Nissan Quest had that same 3.3 engine. Very tough engine, I sold it with about 145k, still ran like a top with no consumption between changes. I never had the valve covers off, what you could see of the head through the filler hole looked spotless. I ran Mobil 1 High mileage in it the last 40k or so.

Just run whatever name brand synthetic you prefer, that engine will last a long time.

Mobil should have a "Valve Covers Off" web page showing Mobil1 cars with over 100,000 miles, for lots of corroboration. They could call it "Valves Gone Wild" to get the male demographic.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Where varnish accumulates is not necessarily where it is formed.

There's likely some issue with PCV flows inside that cover, or the clean end has more oil flow due to windage off the cam or something.

With some engines, there is more varnish where the PCV valve is, and less where the fresh air inlet is.

That would suggest to me that the PCV valve is located towards the rear of the valve cover.

With some V8 engines posted on this forum, one entire cylinder head would have more varnish than the other whole cylinder head.

Is the PCV valve and the fresh air inlet on the same valve cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back