Spark Plug Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some new spark plug sockets.

I am considering the retention style and the magnetic style - what do you folks recommend?

I'm sure there are reasons for the other type but I've always gotten along well with the style that has a rubber insert in it. I generally like the sockets that have a hex on the top of them so they can be turned with a wrench or with the ratchet.

I'd say they are all retention style, whether they have a spring clip, a rubber insert or whether they are magnetic. Only the style of retention changes. I have all of them and I like the magnetic one the least. It always seems to pick up some ferrous junk along the way or while in storage. The one with the rubber insert seems the smoothest and holds on to the spark plug well enough for extraction and insertion.

hotwheels

I hate the ones with a rubber boot in the socket. It always comes out and stays on the plug and can be a real pain to get off the plug. I have removed all those from mine.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hate the ones with a rubber boot in the socket. It always comes out and stays on the plug and can be a real pain to get off the plug. I have removed all those from mine.

I've never had the rubber boot pop out. Glue it in!

hotwheels

I use a regular socket with a piece of duct tape on a couple of the flats. I have some with the rubber insert and I never use them.

I use the sockets with a rubber insert but on deep well plugs like on my 2GR-FE I break the plug loose then use a piece of clear plastic hose to fit over the end of the loose spark plug and finish removing it. Same for installation. Thread the new plug in 2-3 turns and then use the socket.

Try it...you'll never go back to the old way.

I got a Blackhawk swivel socket some 20+ years ago on a buy one set of spark-plugs get the swivel socket for free offer....I think it was an NGK offer.

It's been in service most of that time. The rubber boot has never come out. It fishes out the back three plugs on my Mazda no problem.

I have those 6" flex Gearwrench ones I believe I have two sizes. Over a year old haven't even used them yet but I got then if i need them.

I recently got Gearwrench magnetic socket that comes with attached extension from advance auto. Worked well, makes it easier to pull and to drop. Coupon codes help too.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Yeah this! I guess some dielectric grease might be the thing.

They seem "gentler" though and I don't hear the porcelain of the plug insulator tinking around inside.

This is one of those things where the perfect tool is better than the adequate one, especially on DOHC motors where the plug is way down some tunnel.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks guys.

What do you folks think about Snap-On's tapered style sockets? They use some sort of tapered setup to keep the plug in place...and this is in lieu of the magnet or rubber boot.

https://store.snapon.com/Retention-Socket-Spark-Plug-Standard-Retention-5-8-6-Point-P644224.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDY5VsgbKUo

For that kind of money you are in Hazet magnetic territory.
On the job exclusively for years (one of them over 25) and never dropped, left on or broke a plug.
Its the steel and quality of the magnet. Hazet uses a steel magnet with just the right amount of pull that doesn't diminish over time, it is spot welded in not glued.
Try one, you will buy the others and never use anything else. You can etch that in stone.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I need some new spark plug sockets.

I am considering the retention style and the magnetic style - what do you folks recommend?

Gear Wrench 5/8" x 6" Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket Absolutely love this, has been totally worth every penny I have spent on it, and obviously it works flawlessly.

+1 If you've got a vehicle with deep spark plugs, this thing is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back