Pushmower oil temp, 261F, 5HP Kawasaki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand you having engine failures with 10-30 oils. Here in Illinois it gets hotter than Florida and I have never had OPE failure. I only use M1 10-30 in all my OPE and have mowers last for 23 years(typically the decks rot out) and the engine still ran fine.

Cujet,
Notice my post under tools. Do you think a thermometer aimed at the oil filter on OPE will give a fairly accurate oil temp reading?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Cujet,
Notice my post under tools. Do you think a thermometer aimed at the oil filter on OPE will give a fairly accurate oil temp reading?

It probably will get close to reading the right temp, if the oil filter is very flat black.

I am confused. OP has oil failures because of oil viscosity, but Shannow tested a 20 weight and a 60 weight.. and the 20 was cooler?

Honestly I have never heard of an oil viscosity related failure with a simple push mower. I have always considered them to be pretty tough and as long as the oil never gets too low there wont (or shouldn't
smile.gif
) be any issues.

Last edited:
Before I would condemn the oil for making the motor too hot, I would check to see if there's another reason, like grass restricting air flow. Maybe mice have stuffed lint or some other material in the cooling fins. Might just be as simple as wet grass has stuck under the body and the cooling air can't blow out unrestricted. If a mower is filled to the correct level, even if it's old oil it shouldn't overheat.,,,

I have no opinion on the failure part, but I can add, I measured the oil temp on an 8 hp B&S L-head on a Snapper rider after a long 4 hour workout mulching and bagging inches of leaves a few seasons ago. It was 40 to 50 degrees out and I got 270 degrees--so I would fully endorse the accuracy of the OP's oil temp event. I run straight 30 in all my OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back