Starting a vehicle after 7 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, vehicle in question is a 2010 GMC Yukon Denali that has been sitting for around 7 months. Battery is obviously dead, tank is just below 1/4. Im thinking to get it started properly, maybe add a bottle of Sta-bil to the gas along with a few fresh gallons, hook it up to the F150, and crank away. Any better options? Thanks!

get a new battery and it will start on first shot!
I personally would pull the fuel tank fuse and crank it first but in any case it will start up on first shot with a new battery

I would pull the battery and charge it if you can't replace it. If you don't have a charger, take it to an auto parts store and have them quick charge it. Should take about 2 hours, you can drop it off and come back later.

Jump starting it will not be ideal, even though it would probably get it working.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Charge the battery and turn the key.
x2. Dont forget to run the AC to get the seals wet. Theres a good chance that the AC system has leaked out all its refrigerant while sitting.

Look for squirrels and junk in the air filter box first. Then hit it!

Charge or replace the battery. Fill the tank and add a can of good fuel system cleaner.

Forget the stabil, that was meant for 7 months ago.
Add some new gas charge the battery, and check the engine compartment for animals and their nests.
Crank her up after that

My Grand Marquis sat for close to 18 months until I fired it up. Just installed a new battery and it fired right up, no problem. AC was also still functioning as it should. Just did some fluid changes (engine oil, oil/air filter and coolant) and all was good.

My charger sat since November. I plated it yesterday because I've been missing the visceral feeling flooring it gives me.
Other than the fuel not being great it runs great.

Seafoam or B12, heavy dose, maybe even some fresh gas (either by add it right then and there, or drive right to gas station leaving it running) after checking all fluids and if the battery is charged.. just fire it up. Fuel pump priming seems unnecessary unless you just installed a new pump? Even then? Turning with no fuel for that one second or so cant be that bad..

Come on guys, cars sit on dealer lots for 7 mos all the time. Throw a new battery in or charge the old one and start it up! Fill up the tank and
19.gif

That's my thoughts. 7mo is nothing unless the thing was under water or setting inside some other torture chamber.

A lot of cars sits longer than that at the dealership. Change the battery (if needed) and run it.

Stabil has a preservative but will not help stale gas. Fill it with fresh gas and it should mix and burn ok.

If the battery is dead it might help it to take it inside and trickle charge it for a couple of days. Or it might be shot anyway if it froze from being discharged in extreme temps.

I recently acquired a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis that had been sitting for nearly 2 years with a 1/4 tank of gas and a dead battery. I put a new battery in it, checked the fluid levels, and it fired right up. The only problems so far were some leaking o-rings on the fuel injectors and deteriorated spark plug boots. They have since been replaced and it seems to be running good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back