Napa Oil Question??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a $10 off $20 coupon at Napa auto parts. Any suggestions on what oil to get there? How is there Napa brand oil? I am scrunching pennies right now & looking for a low cost oil that will do a 3,500 mile OCI.

I think the Napa full synthetic oil is on sale for $3.79 per qt until the end of the month. It's a pretty good oil, especially at that price. I run it in my wife's grand cherokee and I've been pretty happy with it.

How does NAPA 15W50 compare to Mobil 1 15W50? I'm sure M1 blows it out of the water. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong though.

What?? The OP is looking at conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does NAPA 15W50 compare to Mobil 1 15W50? I'm sure M1 blows it out of the water. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yeah, I'm on a budget due to a very large gambling loss. I'm thinking Napa regular 5 30. It's for my beater, 2000 Honda Civic.

Their synthetic is on sale this month and perhaps they have their Napa Gold sale going on now too. Get that stuff.

Because of the sale, the NAPA synthetic is cheaper than the NAPA conventional. In my area it's $3.79 for synthetic, and $3.99 for conventional. So I'd go with NAPA Synthetic, which is very close to being Valvoline SynPower. Unless there are other issues we don't know about, it will definitely go 3,500 miles.

Also, right now (but only for a couple more days) NAPA stores have their NAPA Gold oil filters on sale. Not all NAPA stores participate, but if yours does, then get a NAPA Gold filter with your purchase, it'll be at a good price and NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix so they're quality filters.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What?? The OP is looking at conventional oil.

The OP's first post never mentioned conventional oil. Copy and paste of said "first post":

So I have a $10 off $20 coupon at Napa auto parts. Any suggestions on what oil to get there? How is there Napa brand oil? I am scrunching pennies right now & looking for a low cost oil that will do a 3,500 mile OCI.

Nope,no mention of conventional oil.

Napa is Valvoline where the additives are concerned, so if you would normally run the Valvoline conventional say 5K, then this oil will do exactly the same job in the same way pretty much.

As far as the synthetic goes, again, pretty much synpower, same additives, even same amounts of it. The only thing I suspect is different is probably the amount of PAO used and I only say that due to the difference in viscosity at -30 with synpower being a little lighter. Valvoline advertises something like 5-10% PAO used in its makeup, and I would think the NAPA probably has 5 or less %. Check it out for yourself at pqiamerica.com. If you would run synpower to 7500 or so, then the napa synthetic will do the same job with no worries, little to no difference. I just bought a case of it myself, half the cost of its twin so why not? Pretty good UOA's on here too, seems to hold TBN retention well and very low wear numbers on average.

I had someone here tell me that NAPA hm is different that Max Life. I checked PIQA and sure enough,its completely different. Plus there is no Synpower 15W50,BUT there is NAPA 15W50,so the NAPA oils have to be of a different formulation imo.

NAPA seems to always have a deal on their oil with a silver oil filter for 21 dollars. With your coupon, that's bargain.

I had someone here tell me that NAPA hm is different that Max Life. I checked PIQA and sure enough,its completely different. Plus there is no Synpower 15W50,BUT there is NAPA 15W50,so the NAPA oils have to be of a different formulation imo.

There may be some differences with different weights, what I was referring to in particular was the 5w30 or 10w30, those weights appear to be nearly identical to Valvoline conventional and Synpower. PQI doesn't say anything other than additive levels and viscosity properties and of course there are organic additives that their test will not show, so who knows on that part. I still say that Synpower probably has more PAO (while its not much, but enough to affect low temperature viscosity) where the NAPA synthetic has little to maybe none? I don't think it really matters, if you look up UOA's on here of the NAPA and Synpower they both appear to do very well in a wide range of engines.

If I was looking for a 50W I would probably go with someone that makes a good bit of it who has been making it for a while with a track record.

Napa synthetic at the $3.79 price is a good deal, a solid group III oil made by Ashland Inc who also makes Valvoline synthetic.

I've used it with good results combined with a Gold (Wix) filter. No need for the Platinum filter if you're not doing extended OCI's

Napa synthetic bares mention because, right now, it is cheaper than conventional.

I used Napa Synthetic in the Subaru and the Expedition. The Subaru was fine with it, the Expedition wasn't (high metals and lots of noise).

The OP's first post never mentioned conventional oil. Copy and paste of said "first post":

Nope,no mention of conventional oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Their synthetic is on sale this month and perhaps they have their Napa Gold sale going on now too. Get that stuff.

+1

NAPA Synthetic is on sale for $3.79/quart through the end of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back