Winter fuel economy report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computed out from resetting trip odometer each fill-up (same pump island) and dividing by quantity pumped vs trip odo mileage I'm sitting right on 24 mpg with the Forester through several tanks now. Mixed urban/suburban miles. The led readout on the dash, however, is fibbing to me showing 25.2 mpg. EPA rating for this car is 20/26 per the sticker when new.

This doesn't seem too bad since the 2nd start-up of the day is a full cold-on from sitting out in the lot all day at work. Morning start is in the heated garage.

Subaru's aren't particularly fuel efficient with the full time AWD powering all four all the time, but it is what it is.

I just wanted to tell someone.
laugh.gif

My 09 reads about 1 mpg more than my calculations too. I don't see why it can't do the math.

The colder it is out, the worse it's mileage gets. It's probably a combination of some short trips, and some idle time.

24 doesn't seem bad for a pretty capable AWD car.

A Prius that I drive a lot is right on the button. On a fill up of say 10 gallons it's sometimes within 10 cents of the actual calculated amount. I divide the mileage by the listed mpg figure to one place on the readout times the gas price to three places. I use the same pump and when it clicks off I stop.

The 2015 Forester I bought Saturday says 32 MPG highway with the 2.5 engine. However my wife has been driving it because of the snow in NY. It was suppose to be mainly my car. So I cannot say what the dash readout says.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
The colder it is out, the worse it's mileage gets. It's probably a combination of some short trips, and some idle time.

24 doesn't seem bad for a pretty capable AWD car.

I Agree about the 24 MPG, it's in the upper part of the EPA estimate and it is winter after all.

I always get the EPA estimated for my vehicles in winter, and +3 mpg easily in the summer, especially on my Toyotas, my Hondas in the past have generally always done the EPA estimated. I think it has to do with the winter blended gas as well as the weather outside.

but my experience with Honda is limited as I have only had the D16Y7 mated to the 4 speed auto. 96-00 Civic base engine, I put on 350k miles on those cars.

Last edited:
My '09 also calculates to about 1 mpg less than what the dash display reads. However, if I do all highway driving, I'll easily exceed the highway estimate that was published.

Mine generally knocks out 29 displayed 28 calculated on the highway. I said the wrong EPA sticker figures. 20/26 is for automatic transmission and mine's a manual. Should be 20/27.

Fuelly tells me that I've effectively lost 1-2 MPG. Not terrible, but I liked seeing my numbers at over 30 on average.

I try not to give myself a heart attack by computing winter mpg. With my short tripping and low ambient temps, I know it's abysmal. I don't need it to rub it in anymore. Alas, fuelly.com will compute it for me eventually. Last time I filled up was in November, and I still have almost half a tank left.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
My 09 reads about 1 mpg more than my calculations too. I don't see why it can't do the math.

The Buick Park Avenue always read about 10% too high in mpg. The Regal varies, sometimes within .5 mpg, sometimes 5-10% high. The readout is always higher than with the calculated method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back