Choosing a body shop (interview questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I am about to book my old 3 series into a local shop to have some body work done as well as a complete re-sprat with an engine bay clean-up. I was wondering what questions I should ask the shop before pulling the trigger and handing over the deposit and the keys?

One particular shop I want to go with had quoted me about 4500 for everything. Is this reasonable, or am I asking too much to get a paint quality that's similar to factory?

So far, this is what I want:

=minor rust repair using metal patches (no bondo here!)
=complete re=spray with at least a few coats of clear coat to protect the paint in the future.
-all trim, bumpers (which aren't body colored but black plastic and alum) removed

Any other questions should I ask? also, would I save any $$ by offering to pay for some of the supplies (paint, clear coat, etc.)

thanks in advance

It's not the questions that you ask the body shop... they'll tell you whatever they think that you want to hear...

You find some of the body shop's past customers (who know something about cars and body work), and you ask THEM the questions.

Yes, my way is harder and is more time consuming. But you'll truly find out who the better body shops are.

you would definitely save money by doing some of the prep work yourself. things like removing the bumpers and trim you want removed...

Last edited:
No, you don't save any money paying for supplies yourself. Let the shop do all the works with their own supplies.

If you can't contact with any previous customer who had his/her car(s) done there, you can take a peak at their current job(s) to see how they do it. If they look like doing good job with current car(s) in the shop then it is good chance that they will do good job on your car.

It would seem that dealing with a body shop that has been in the neighborhood twenty years or more is a pretty safe bet. Many of those guarantee repairs for the life of the vehicle.

Since they do guarantee the repairs they are going to want to use their own supplies and techniques regardless of what you want them to do or use.

BTW-used correctly there is nothing wrong with Bondo.

that price seems very reasonable for painting and entire car along with repairing sheet metal. If they are using good Dupont paint, they are going to probably have close to a grand in paint alone unless you are painting it black or white.

Take a look at their current restorations and look for orange peel, any slight runs around body seems. bend down and look down the sides of cars they have done and look for straight smooth lines. If they fixed a wrecked car, ask them to look at something they have repaired. look to make sure seams match in width and adjustment from side to side and front to back. Open gas tank lids and hoods if they will let you so you can see how well they taped. Also ask if they will be doing a tape and spray job or doing it right and removing all weatherstripping, door and window moldings, etc. you don't want a paint job that is simply taped around and sprayed, it will peel in a few years.

Also ask them what type of materials they use, and how long they have been using that particular brand of paint/clear, etc. And ask them how long they have been in business. A good way to tell a quality of a shop is by asking people who are there in the lobby/waiting area, or are also getting bids or estimates. ask them if they are repeat customers or just shopping like you. If you find a few repeat customers ask them why they choose this shop. is it price, quality, speed or a combination of factors? all of these tips will help you make informed decisions. My uncle owns a mustang speed shop/body shop, so i spend a lot of time around there, i see stuff that comes in from other shops that he repairs, and i see cars that he is tuning on that were painted by other shops that are top notch. it all depends on the level of care the shop takes. Dont get tore up about time either. if you want your car back asap and rush the body shop the quality could decline. give them ample time to do it 100% right.

Last edited:
Ask to see other cars they've painted.

If they can't show you a glass smooth panel with deep colour, even reflections and NO orange peel then walk away.

Took me two years to find somewhere good enough to paint my scirocco

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
ask if they guarantee rust work!

I'm not aware of any body shop that will guarantee rust repair.

I would look into hot rod shops. I had to have some repair done recently to my pickup and a recommended body shop was about $850, but it was someone who typically does insurance work.

I took it to a body shop that didn't deal with insurance and mostly worked on old hot rods and had many photos of all the cars he worked on in the past. He was definitely a car person and owned several old cars he restored/painted himself. Only cost $425. Deductible was higher than the 850 so either way insurance wouldn't cover it.

Bottom line is that it seems to me that people who work on hot rods have more passion and meticulousness in their craftsmanship.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
ask if they guarantee rust work!

I'm not aware of any body shop that will guarantee rust repair.

There are some that will guarantee it. Those are the only ones that I'll work with to be honest. Even if it means properly dealing with it via cutting out the cancerous rust and welding in new metal, I'm totally cool with that and would prefer that method. That's actually one of my main concerns regarding this bodywork job. And obviously trying to ensure that they do a good job of the paint work.

In terms of time frame, I've stressed to the body shop that they can take as much time as they like on this project. It is not my daily driver and I'd rather have them take their time and do a good job, rather than rush it and have me return constantly with complaints. The longer they have it, the less rent I have to pay for it's spot in my apt building.

This shop does not have a fancy waiting room (or any customer seating area to be honest) and I prefer that. It just means my money is not going to pay for things I don't care about. Even finding the shop was a bit interesting because when I first went there, I wasn't sure if I was in the right area, since they were hidden away in a back corner behind some other buildings with no fancy LED signage etc (another indication of money not wasted). This place literally looks like a hole in a brick wall. They've been in business for about 25-30 years so I think they are rather reputable.

I found them on a local forum where others who have higher end Nissan 350Z's and Bentley's take their cars. That's who recommended I go there. After meeting with the owner, he showed me several pics of older 911's, MB's and VW's they specialize in. I say, if the shop is good enough for cars worth 4 or 5 times as much as my car, (and the owners of those cars leave happy) I feel pretty comfortable with them working on my old car.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'll compile an email with most of them and see what he says.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I would look into hot rod shops. I had to have some repair done recently to my pickup and a recommended body shop was about $850, but it was someone who typically does insurance work.

I took it to a body shop that didn't deal with insurance and mostly worked on old hot rods and had many photos of all the cars he worked on in the past. He was definitely a car person and owned several old cars he restored/painted himself. Only cost $425. Deductible was higher than the 850 so either way insurance wouldn't cover it.

Bottom line is that it seems to me that people who work on hot rods have more passion and meticulousness in their craftsmanship.

BINGO!!

This shop I've been working with does not work with ICBC and is not "accredited". But conversely, that also means that they dont' have the high turnover of bigger, fancier shops (which I prefer).

Most of those shops that were accredited did not want to even LOOK at my car, let alone give me a quote

another cast saving measure, if this is not your DD, a car you can be without for a while, is to contact your Local Vocational School. they need cars for the kids to train on, and normally (at least around here)there are no labor charges, just the cost of parts.... just sayin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back