What to use to clean oil stains from concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you use to clean the oil drippings off your driveway and/or garage floor?

Thank you,
Ed

Last edited:
I use LA totally awesome from the dollar store..it works fantastic..but others will probably choose purple power or castrol super clean etc.

Hello, When I drip on the white concrete drive I do the following:
Pour several tea kettles of boiling water onto the stain to heat it up.
Liberally wet the area downslope from the stain with water. I catch washing machine rinse water to conserve pure drinking water. It's the same water I use to periodically wash the brake dust off my wheels.
It pays to save water.
Spray Purple Power or equivalent directly on the stain. You can brush it a bit if you like.
Pour rinse water on the stain.
The soaking you gave the concrete earlier prevents the raised oil from restaining the concrete.
Repeat as necessary or as is successful. Kira

Purple power and a pressure washer.
But if you just spilled some, and have kitty litter, use a push broom upside down to grind it into the concrete. Then sweep it up. Its surprisingly effective. When I found out my drain pan had a crack in it last time I did an oil change, I did that and you pretty much can't tell it happened.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
What do you use to clean the oil drippings off your driveway and/or garage floor?

Thank you,
Ed

Well the best is a hot water pressure washer. If you do not have one of those, then maybe some Dawn dish soap mixed with water, let it sit, then scrub, then pressure wash.

For oil stains that are somewhat fresh, pouring gasoline on the spot has always worked for me.

what actually works quite well is Drano crystals which are about 90% sodium hydroxide. Just sprinkle it directly on the oil and leave it there overnight, the NaOH should chemically break down the oil.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For oil stains that are somewhat fresh, pouring gasoline on the spot has always worked for me.

Back when I used to fly we would pour a little bit of gas on our hands to get the oil off to save a walk back into the fbo. Probably not a great idea in hindsight but that 100 octane leaded gas took the oil right off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back