drainplug gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all I know, the old truck got oil changes from quick lubes, places where guys thought that the more torque you apply to a drain plug, the better.

Over time, that can damage the oil pan.

How do you know that the truck never had an oversized plug installed in the past?

I have had this truck for 6 years and I do all the oil changes
Myself but the previous owner did take it to fast lube places
The old plug I removed looks like the original
Thanks for all the replies

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I gave up using gaskets. Never had any luck with crush washers or the plastic ones. I use the "form a gasket" stuff in the black tube. I put a beed around the lip of the drain bolt and install it. Never once had a drop of oil leak out. And when you remove it the old gasket peals right off.

I did the same thing on an older car with a bent oil pan... worked well

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I didn't remove the drain plug to change oil the last 10-15 years, I use Mityvac to extract the oil. When I change oil the old fashion way I bought pack of 10 aluminum gaskets for $1-2 from Ace Hardware. It worked for 2-3 OCI before it was deformed such that I had to use another.

I haven't removed a drain plug on any of my vehicles since the first oil change. At that time, I put on Fumoto drain valves. Personal vehicles, commercial vehicles, everything. Have used them for well over a decade with no problems. Even serious off roading with Jeeps and pickups.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I gave up using gaskets. Never had any luck with crush washers or the plastic ones. I use the "form a gasket" stuff in the black tube. I put a beed around the lip of the drain bolt and install it. Never once had a drop of oil leak out. And when you remove it the old gasket peals right off.

+1 That "black death" is money. I used it on an old Honda Accord for many years that had a stripped drain plug that wouldn't get over finger tight. But as mentioned above, the best DPG is the OEM one supplied by the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back