Nissan GT-R LM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the most important commercial during the Super Bowl revealed Nissan's new LMP1 car.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117546

I'm not convinced that FWD is a good idea for a LMP car, but if they can make it work more power to them. The car does look cool. I also thought it was pretty cool they did all the filming for the commercial at COTA, and in the last scene showed them running COTA backwards.

2015-nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-race-car_100499117_l.jpg

nissan-gt-r-lm-nismo-lmp1-by-marshall-pruett-58.jpg

Interesting! I like the flywheel concept too over the electrical battery systems.
I wonder how well it will work in the rain though, cutting through water with the drive tires as 180-200mph might not work well?

They used to have slot cars that were that ugly. I call it Nissan ugly.

physics make sure the traction circle applies to even race cars so I'm guessing understeer will severely hinder it's performance. I do like nissans though so I'll be rooting for it.

Originally Posted By: abycat
physics make sure the traction circle applies to even race cars so I'm guessing understeer will severely hinder it's performance. I do like nissans though so I'll be rooting for it.

There are lots of fwd cars in European touring car classes that do well, so its not like the car has no chance.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugly.
Not just ugly. *****. Maybe even double *****.
That said, it's got some fresh thinking, but will a front-wheel-drive LMP1 be competitive? Can you really put 850-900 HP through the front wheels and make it reliable for a 24-hour race? Since it's never been done before, I think it will take a lot of development. Unless they've really got the front suspension geometry figured out, the torque steer will be monumental, and could really wear out the drivers trying to wrestle that beast around the track.

I think the key to their thinking is that more braking energy is available from the front axle, so they can recover more energy than if they had a rwd hybrid. Do LeMans rules prohibit 4wd? Why not recover the energy from the front axle, then send it to motors at the rear axle? Then you'd have 4wd with an easily manageable traction control system at the rear.

Those hood-exit dual exhausts are awesome
01.gif
otherwise, it's an odd looking car to be sure. But that's one thing I love about LeMans; the variety of cars, even in the same class, is very cool. That's something no other racing organization has (not to this extent, at least). From aspiration, to fuel type, to drive wheels, to design, etc., cars can be very different and still race together. Makes for a very interesting and colorful race.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Unless they've really got the front suspension geometry figured out, the torque steer will be monumental, and could really wear out the drivers trying to wrestle that beast around the track.

Do these cars have power-assisted steering? Maybe they're using an EPS setup that cancels the torque steer.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I think the key to their thinking is that more braking energy is available from the front axle, so they can recover more energy than if they had a rwd hybrid. Do LeMans rules prohibit 4wd? Why not recover the energy from the front axle, then send it to motors at the rear axle? Then you'd have 4wd with an easily manageable traction control system at the rear.

Interesting thoughts.

I'm pretty sure Porsche is using an AWD system on their LMP1 car, so AWD can't be banned outright.

If I had to guess at Nissan's thinking, my guess would be this: They are trying to exploit the huge amount of regen at the front axle with a simple setup. If they had a motor/generator up front and a whole separate powertrain out back, they'd have a lot of mass at the ends of the car and a lot of duplication. This setup at least lets them keep things simple: one motor/generator, one connection to the internal combustion powertrain, end of story.

As offensive as I find the idea of a FWD race car, I have to admit this is really interesting stuff. Can't wait to see how it works.

AWD is allowed, Audi uses it also. Something about Audi's system, The diesel engine powers the rear wheels, and the fronts are powered by the battery, they can only use the battery burst above 100kmh. Toyota's car has the rear wheels powered by the engine and battery, so they can leave the pitlane under battery power, and if they ever run out of fuel on track they can coast back under battery power.

Why is everyone judging this car on its looks? There is a whole field of crazy stuff about this car and y'all are stuck staring at a few blades of grass...

Originally Posted By: horse123
Looks like a microbus got stomped on by an elephant.

Hahahaha!

Sadly, it's about the only Nissan Id want to own these days..,

Dear Nissan,

If you are a Japanese Manufacturer and you win the 24 Hours of Le Mans by defying convention, your car and propulsion method gets banned.

You might want to consider rebadging that as a Renault.

Love,
Mazda

image-6268.jpg

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Why is everyone judging this car on its looks? There is a whole field of crazy stuff about this car and y'all are stuck staring at a few blades of grass...
Looks matter.

Of course looks matter.

If they matter enough to eclipse the totally revolutionary thinking behind every aspect of how the car actually works, that's kind of absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back