odd color of fresh ground beef

Status
Not open for further replies.
We returned two packages to HEB yesterday. They were ground, packaged, purchased and returned on the same day. The meat color is bright red under the shrink wrap. the bright red layer is less than 1/4" deep and then the color changed to brown. HEB ground beef has been like this for a long time. The meat dept manager says the middle is brown due to oxygenation, or lack of oxygenation I can't remember. This is normal and safe, and the store will gladly pay a refund to a concerned customer. Why is HEB ground beef different? Other stores' and meat markets' ground beef is an even color throughout.

Not a meat guy but,

Not fresh ground daily?

Its lack of oxygen IIRC.

If you take the all red beef and leave it sealed in the package for about a day it will do that as well.

edit: I googled
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis...safety/CT_Index
Quote:

Why is pre-packaged ground beef red on the outside and sometimes dull, grayish-brown inside?
Oxygen from the air reacts with meat pigments to form a bright red color which is usually seen on the surface of meat purchased in the supermarket. The pigment responsible for the red color in meat is oxymyoglobin, a substance found in all warm-blooded animals. Fresh cut meat is purplish in color. The interior of the meat may be grayish brown due to lack of oxygen; however, if all the meat in the package has turned gray or brown, it may be beginning to spoil.

Carbon MONoxide will produce a nice red color in the surface of meat. Stores use it as a treatment to make the stuff in the case look good. The gas usually reacts with the surface only.

Last edited:
The color change is "normal".
In saying that, after having worked in a meat department for a few years, I buy the meat and grind my own. Usually Costco stew beef and boneless pork loin chop, 75% / 25% mix.

Yeah, I'm all about grinding my own, too. We usually grind chuck roast.

The color thing seems pretty normal to me for packaged ground beef.

Last edited:
I prefer to grind my own. Then, I can use more interesting cuts in my ground beef. A combination of 75% chuck and 25% skirt makes excellent hamburgers. Course ground brisket is great for chili. Also, finer ground brisket makes a hamburger to die for.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Down here, they pump the packages with Carbon Monoxide to make the surface of the meat "rosy", whether it's ground or cut steak etc.

Subsurface is what the meat colour really is.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23317863

Etc includes people. Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning always have an attractive rosy glow. High time to get a canary.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Danno
The color change is "normal".

^^This. EVERY package of ground beef and steaks I've ever bought will be like this once it's opened exposed to the air for a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Also, finer ground brisket makes a hamburger to die for.

I bought a pack of this one time and I thought the burgers were too dry. But,there's a place called Chop House Burgers that mixes shredded brisket with ground beef and they are insane!!!! Maybe it's the mix that makes them juicy?

^the brisket burgers were not at all dry. They did shrink quite a bit when cooked, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back