P0304 CYLINDER 4 MISFIRE IN THE EXPEDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
If that plug really is a bear maybe some slackjawed mechanic in the past replaced all 7 of the others and left this one alone.

I remember seeing a picture posted online by a tech at an exotic shop or a Ferrari dealer, something like that. Someone did just what you're describing TO A TESTAROSSA! There was one nasty-@ss plug in the back corner. I think that you could do 11 of the 12 plugs without pulling the motor.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Hopefully it doesn't shoot out. Be careful removing that plug.

That's the only one I've had shoot out, go figure, LOL!
wink.gif

Interesting. I had that same plug blow on my 00 mustang.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Is it currently running? How many miles are on it? Has it ever had a tune up? Lot of questions involved in the diagnosis here. Below is a link to a brief description of some possibilities, but more information is needed to get an accurate prognosis.

http://engine-codes.com/p0304_ford.html

Hopefully it is something simple like a faulty coil pack or spark plug. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Thank you! 159,2xx miles.. questionable tune-up history/uunknown. I agree that new plugs, wires would be awesome way to combat.

Did not throw code this morning, but exhaust got a hole in it, driving in the slush. Sounds nicely loud now.

If that plug really is a bear maybe some slackjawed mechanic in the past replaced all 7 of the others and left this one alone.

Possible. IIRC, they are supposed to be replaced at 150,000Km (roughly 90,000 miles). I changed mine myself. Torqued them all and then six months later launched one. Also, another got loose by itself and had to be re-torqued (sounds like an exhaust leak). Been fine since (knock on wood).

That said, that coil failing is common due to what I mentioned earlier. So I would start with that. GHT does not have the tools or experience to change the plugs on this engine, I'm actually concerned about him changing the coil, particularly this one.

Oh, it wouldn't be me.
smile.gif

Hey Pop_Rivit don't miss a chance to chime in on our little DIYer game!
thumbsup2.gif

I wish it was mine more to do what I want with. I am not sure me telling her "It looks like you are going to need that tune-up - coil, spark plugs, wires, after all" - will translate into that being done. It sure does feel like one plug isnt acting right. Not as bad as yesterday when it threw the code, but. Those plugs probably look nasty.

Anyone having Volvo flashbacks yet? Because this one is supportive of keeping the truck right, when she is not catching this "hood" attitude with me.

Previous to me, the oil was not changed since 2011, so..

*P.S.: I told her point-blank that "It threw the code so it needs that tune-up now" and I got an I Love Lucy style 'SPLAIN of how "we ain't got no money."
21.gif
so.. for nkw.ow... hmmmm.

Also, another got loose by itself and had to be re-torqued (sounds like an exhaust leak). Been fine since (knock on wood).

Quote:
exhaust leak sound

Oh no....

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Is it going to spit out a spark plug on me?

It might. If it is #4, good luck. It is several hundred to get it fixed, AND you'll need a coil and plug on top of that.

If you had tools you could pull the coil and it'll smell like exhaust, that's the giveaway that the plug is loose.

BUT, they are also notorious for cracking the exhaust manifold on the passenger side, so it may just be that.

Get it to the shop dude. And I wouldn't put a plug in it yet, there is the chance that they'll take the threads out of the head when they change it. I'd start with the coil for #4.

Is it going to spit out a spark plug on me?

It might. If it is #4, good luck. It is several hundred to get it fixed, AND you'll need a coil and plug on top of that.

If you had tools you could pull the coil and it'll smell like exhaust, that's the giveaway that the plug is loose.

BUT, they are also notorious for cracking the exhaust manifold on the passenger side, so it may just be that.

Get it to the shop dude. And I wouldn't put a plug in it yet, there is the chance that they'll take the threads out of the head when they change it. I'd start with the coil for #4.

Does it sound the same as that, and not an exhaust leak? (The two videos)

*I was going to ask if it sounded like that, or a "hole in exhaust." SOMETHING has been rattling for a week or so and this started after going through a puddle on the way to work.

(*I can't see any spark plug wires.) Now.. if C.O.P means Coil On Plug.. then.. ok, presumably no wires. But, how would I find the plugs?

and, to reference a vehicle i am familiar with: On my (1993 with the 1994 engine in it S-10 Tahoe LT garbage-mo-bile that looks nice, as is true of all Blazers i ever heard of) Blazer, I can look and see wires sticking out, with only the driver side rear 2 being seemingly "absolutely impossible to get to." I can change the other 4 plugs. And I have..

On the Honda and Volvo, spark plug changes seemed all too easy. I put NGKs in both.
smile.gif
(*and caught heat for doing so in the Volvo. Not so much the Honda.)

(*I can't see any spark plug wires.) Now.. if C.O.P means Coil On Plug.. then.. ok, presumably no wires. But, how would I find the plugs?

Passenger side rear, coil is by the fuel rail,7mm bolt, coil pulls straight up and out. Early 5.4s had leaks from the heater hose (clamp) that ruined #4 coil.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Even GHT should be able to swap the coils and see if the code changes.

I would not advocate he mess with the coils on this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back