Best High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I know one thing about HM oils: the ONLY 20w-50 product I've ever seen is Napa's brand. I know Valvoline makes it in Maxlife, but I've never seen it anywhere.

Walmart has GTX HM 20W50 in the 5 quart jugs,but not all locations have it. All of the parts chains here have Max Life 20W50 in quarts. Would NAPA's HM oils be rebadged Max Life?

I have used Pennzoil high mileage in all my very high mileage engines in the summer for years and have had good results using it. I don't use it in the winter because it is a little to thick in the winter for my liking. I have seen it slow down leaks and in some cases stop the leak totally. Im under the impression that it is the same as the yellow bottle mixed on the heavier side of the scale with more additives correct me if i am wrong.

It is a little pricey sometimes but it works really good and it's still slightly cheaper than others. I run it 5000 miles instead of the usual 4000 miles.

auto parts stores have it but their prices will make your head spin we only buy from auto parts stores when we need oil quickly even with our discounts its still a lot more there

Originally Posted By: Red91
Give Defy a try. Just a great all around oil. I'd use 10W-30 or 10W-40 in your application. Of course Defy is available in 5W-20 and 5W-30 too, so pick whatever grade you like.

Every store I've visited, the only Defy I see is 5w-30 and 10w-30. I'd love to find it in 10w-40.

I hear you. Can't find 10w40 defy here either.

It's hard to say which one is the best. It would have to be from real world testing. Can you just look at the specs and say "this oil will slow down seal leaks" or "slow down oil burn"?

Originally Posted By: 3311
Originally Posted By: Red91
Give Defy a try. Just a great all around oil. I'd use 10W-30 or 10W-40 in your application. Of course Defy is available in 5W-20 and 5W-30 too, so pick whatever grade you like.

Every store I've visited, the only Defy I see is 5w-30 and 10w-30. I'd love to find it in 10w-40.

I hear you. Can't find 10w40 defy here either.

Walmart has Defy 10W40 in single quarts here.

As for high mileage oils I think M1 HM or Valvoline Maxlife Syn would probably be most readily available. I am anxious to see how pennzoil platinum high mileage will work but I havent seen it at walmart and refuse to go to AZ. I talked to two oil companies today and each said it was safe to switch back and forth with no issues on regular or high mileage.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I know one thing about HM oils: the ONLY 20w-50 product I've ever seen is Napa's brand. I know Valvoline makes it in Maxlife, but I've never seen it anywhere.

Would NAPA's HM oils be rebadged Max Life?

Pqia has a comparison, not even close.

I keep hearing that Max Life is the best at conditioning seals back to life. What exactly is in Max Life that makes it different from all the other HM oils? Does Valvoline use different/superior seal conditioners? Do they use more of said seal conditioners?

MaxLife's reputation is on the line when it comes to stopping leaks and I highly suspect they use more (of the same) seal conditioners than their competition.

ATP AT-205 Resealer contains high concentrations of plasticizers that are similar to what oil companies use in their High Mileage oils with more seal conditioners than standard blends.

Motor Oil Saver also uses high levels of concentrated seal conditioners in a quality / viscous oil carrier.

Try a HM oil and see if it help... stick to your grade 5W-20 at first, but what would help if you can actually address the mechanical issue especially if you plan on keeping the car...these are band-aid's end of the day not a permanent fix!

Used Maxlife 10w-30 in an old Subaru Imprezza I had, drove 100 miles a day freeway (very little stop and go) and it did great on 5k OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back