Advance Auto Seems the Best to Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three auto parts stores relatively close: an Advance Auto, and Autozone, and an independent NAPA Auto store.

Of the three, I have come to like Advance the best. They offer really competitve pricing with their online ordering/store pickup model. They usually have the parts I want in stock, or can get them quickly. They'll ship parts to my home free from their online store. And they have great customer service at the local store- they've replaced many wiper blades for me without complaint, and seem happy to do so. They really seem like they want to help you get what you need. And they now have their rewards program- Speed Perks. They were great to work with when I needed a new battery.

NAPA is my second favorite... they seem to be expensive, and have no online system like Advance to order and deliver to my home. They have shorter hours, and their parts are not competitively priced. Their store seems lackluster when I go in there as well. Once in a while, I do need something there, and I have no problem giving them my business.

I don't like Autozone at all. I don't like the store layout, I don't like their customer service, and I don't like their online system (nor their prices). In a pinch, I'd shop there if I HAD to get something quick... but I really don't like Autozone at all.

There are no O'Reilly or Pep Boys or anything like that around here... so Advance it is for me!
smile.gif

O'Reilly is wicked expensive, I don't understand their business model.

Around here, we have 2 Autozone's, 3 Oreillys, and 1 Advanced. I prefer Oreillys and Advanced. I like Oreillys cause they will price match Walmart on oil and Advanced cause of the online coupons. Also the new perks system is pretty good.

I have O'reilly, Pep boys, AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, NAPA, Walmart all within 5 miles.

I compare prices on line and they all are close in price, except for NAPA which is higher. But it gives 10% off with AAA.

Walmar is best for OIL and filters.

I just got a 5 gal container of Valvoline full syn. high mileage for 22.97!

Last edited:
I like Advance too, wish we had them out west. At least we have O'Reilly and they carry Wix...

I totally agree, their customer service in St. Louis is FANTASTIC to say the least, and they are very very good about warranties, and I mostly always buy a part from them that has a limited lifetime warranty and it has helped me out many many times.

I look for the cheapest quality parts but if the different is not too big then warranty is my second consideration on the part.

AAP is a solid place. Saved hundreds with their online coupons. Didn't know O'Reily would price match oil. I'd rather give them money than Wal-Mart.

Although, O'Riley's is the only place I can find that carries specialty stuff (LubeGard, Royal Purple, etc.) And they're the only ones that had a PS pump for my old Grand Am.

Some of AAP parts are junk though. Not a fan of their in-house brand. I like AZ's Duralast brand much better.

I get my oil and filters online and always consult rockauto for price comparisons before buying parts.

Last edited:
Doesnt AZ price match too? They seem to have the best oil prices compared to WM. Plus for every $100 you spend, they'll give you $20 IIRC.

I like AAP for online stuff no doubt. As long as it has a lifetime warranty, I'm good. From what I have seen, they carry the same brands as Oreillys. I used to go to Oreillys for stuff I needed in a pinch, but I find myself going to AZ more.

Napa is probably my least favorite now. Very $$$ and the guys aren't very helpful.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Napa is probably my least favorite now. Very $$$ and the guys aren't very helpful.

Napa caters to shops, they want nothing to do with the diyer. I haven't bothered with them in years.

we have a pep boys an auto zone an advanced and a napa and a couple of mom and pops within 7 miles of my shop and we buy at the ones that give us the best deals on the best parts. They are always trying to get our business because we buy a lot of parts between my shop and my friends shops and we usually use auto zone.

Their prices are usually the best.

My go to for local business is typically Advance, but you really have to watch their prices even with the coupons. Sometimes they'll still be higher even after all the discounts.

NAPA used to rule around here 25+ years ago, huge parts books everywhere and guys who knew how to use them. Now, most of them operate on the "if my computer doesn't tell me, you're screwed" model.

O'Reilly really does have an insane pricing model. Sometimes I'm amazed at how much higher they are on certain parts. It seems like any time I step in there, some poor schlub is stuck needing a battery and they're nailing him for $150+. How they manage to stay in business is beyond me. I will tell you this, I have one by me that has a really good staff that seems knowledgeable. I just wish they worked at AAP :)

If I'm in no hurry to fix the car (the benefit of having a spare car), I'll go to Amazon or RockAuto. I would say most of my large purchases over the last few years have been over the internet.

Two of the NAPAs around are really good. One is run by a woman who must have her whole life riding on that store, the other was a mom and pop auto parts place who took in the Napa franchise name for whatever reason.

The AZ that I know of is in a "half sales tax" zone, and while that would be a great thing, nobody seems to care to speak English and so I've boycotted them and let corporate know exactly why. There is another one much further that had a really good parts girl but it's just too inconvenient.

There are a lot of AAPs around, but since the online buying is the best deal, and if paying with PayPal they don't ask for a billing zip, for big ticket items I can plan, I usually pick them up at a store in Delaware when driving to DC, to save the tax.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Doesnt AZ price match too?

match AAPs online price? you must be kidding.

I thought they price matched oil.

I am unaware of anyone who would price match online prices with discounts.

WM is the oil supplier for me. Other than that, I get everything at AAP. Staff is very attentive and gets me in and out quickly. The local PB is a disaster and after two times having to leave because no one would check my purchase out after 10 minutes (yes, timed them), I'm done with them. AAP and it's online ordering and pickup all the way.

Withing 10 miles we have most of the big chain automotive stores. Oreillys, Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, CarQuest, Napa and Wal Mart. I agree, Advance is a great place to shop, but I will use any of them (depending on who has the best weekly sales adds) except NAPA. The Napa we have here is a dump.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Napa caters to shops, they want nothing to do with the diyer. I haven't bothered with them in years.

Depends on the local NAPA. Some around here are very DIY friendly. In general their rebuilds and parts are top quality and worth the price difference.

I use them all. I think I like Rock Auto the most.

AAP only "saves" you money if you can take full advantage of their online prices and coupons. If you don't have time to buy it ahead on their website chances are you're getting screwed by 25% or more. I'm not a fan of some of their rebuilt parts, either, they get their "rebuilt" stuff from India and sometimes it goes right back to the store.

Where AAP really wins for me is when they're the last one open on a Saturday or Sunday evening.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I hate Advance Auto !!! Because they aren't here !!!

Me too. The local one actually went out of business a few years back. I've been shopping there since they were discount auto parts.

These days AZ gets most of my business. Years ago they seemed to be staffed by clueless young staff. But the past couple of years the quality of their counter people has really increased. I've noticed this in multiple locations.

I also like the $20 credit after spending $100. I'm not a fan of Duralast parts, but I get almost all my oil at AZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back