Cooking with motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, food prep more accurately. I thought a smoked turkey breast for dinner after the game would go down well.

I was looking for something to weigh down the bird while I brined it last night. Sealed bottle of motor oil washed well was ideal.

superbowl%2520turkey.jpg

The old 76 oil bucket makes a good brine bucket. (Normally it's the car wash bucket so it's very clean before I wash it).

superbowl%2520turkey%25202.jpg

I would've gone with a synthetic. For a few dollars more, it just gives me better piece of mind.

Brining a turkey in a non-food grade plastic bucket that formerly held carcinogenic lubricants, along with potentially toxic cleaning supplies? Held in place with a motor oil bottle?

Yeah, no thanks.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Brining a turkey in a non-food grade plastic bucket that formerly held carcinogenic lubricants, along with potentially toxic cleaning supplies? Held in place with a motor oil bottle?

Yeah, no thanks.

I know, that poultry smell won't ever leave the garage!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yeah, no thanks.

I know, that poultry smell won't ever leave the garage!
crackmeup2.gif

Thanks eljefino, you got the gist.
wink.gif

Actually Pop-Rivit, the bucket IS food-grade. That refers to the quality of the plastic stability, not what was in it. It has spent 10 to 15 years subsequently being filled and emptied monthly with wash water with dish soap. As was similarly clean the washed the oil container/weight. I didn't spend those years studying chemistry, both organic and inorganic, and going to medical school, to carelessly poison my family.
wink.gif
Sometimes a person with a "grip" is a rare commodity.
wink.gif

Anyway, here's the end result. I cut the backbone out of the carcass and spatchcocked the chest. I injected it w/Butter, stuffed some bay leaves under the skin, sprinkled it with fresh cracked pepper and Australian Murray River finishing salt. I smoked it 1.5 hours on a gas grill with some hickory chip smoke bombs (chips wrapped in aluminum foil). This is how I do our holiday turkeys and they are really amazing (I use big whole birds then so cook like 4~5 hours and the skin becomes amazing, not like this one).

It was wonderfual and badly needed. After watching that insane call by Pete Carroll, and the g-d cheating Patriots win, we needed something to take our minds elsewhere, to a better land...

This was just the ticket:

super%2520bowl%2520end.jpg

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Actually Pop-Rivit, the bucket IS food-grade.

No, it most certainly is not. A bucket that has previously contained lubricants or other carcinogenic chemicals is never considered food grade. Ever. But then, with your extensive medical/chemical background and training you probably already know that.

A food grade bucket will have the glass and fork symbol on it. Just because it's HDPE does not make it food grade nor food safe. But then, with your extensive background you probably already know that.

And since you're the expert here, with your extensive training and background, you know the FDA recommendations for brining containers.

Quote:
If you know that a plastic container or bag is not made of food grade material, you should not use it for brining. If you cannot determine the food grade status of a container or bag, you should not use it for brining.

Examples include:

HDPE white plastic containers of unknown food grade status
Garbage cans or pails
Mop buckets
Laundry detergent or kitty litter buckets
Dry pet food buckets
5-gallon utility buckets from the home center
Household storage containers
Garbage bags
Any container that has been used to store non-food items like chemicals, paint, or detergent

If you ran a restaurant and were caught using that bucket and oil bottle for anything food related in the kitchen, you'd be shut down, and for good reason.

But then, with your extensive medical/chemical background you already know that, right?

Hello, I ALWAYS use a 5 gallon bucket to wash sandy spinach.
The depth gives the sand a place to sink to.

The OP's picture of the oil bottle reminded me of a Three Stooges sight gag. They were baby sitting.
Remember what they gave the baby as a pacifier? A big revolver!
Hmmm...I wonder if they still run that one? Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back